Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Monday, November 8, 2010

November 10- November 16

As the Produce Box approaches its close of the season I am astonished not only to find ourselves nearing Thanksgiving but also surprised at the abundance of fresh produce which has entered my family's daily life. Although I have always made it a point to serve at least one vegetable with dinner nightly and stock a variety of fruits in the house for snacking, I have discovered a weekly supply of farm fresh produce as provided my family with a much healthier and richer diet.

This weeks Box contains local Apple Cider, 2 Red Bell Peppers, a large Eggplant, 2 heads of Romaine Lettuce, Sweet Potatoes and Tomatoes.

I never made the White Chili so I may decide to throw it on this week's menu. Unfortunately, my homemade cole slaw was rather bitter. I discovered after the fact, that soaking the cabbage for about 20 minutes helps mellow the bitterness. Good tip to know for next time!

Wednesday, November 10- Tonight I will try making a main course salad for dinner. I am altering a recipe I found on Allrecipes.com with some of my own additions.
Southwest Chicken Salad
1 small can corn, drained
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar and Monterey cheese blend
3 tomatoes, chopped
Chopped romaine lettuce
Catalina salad dressing
Southwest Style Chicken
Corn chips

In a large bowl, combine the corn, black beans, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. Add dressing and mix well. Cut up chicken and placed over salad. Add corn chips before serving.

I may buy prepared Southwest Style Chicken or if I have the time prepare my own.

Thursday, November 11- Garlic and Thyme Pork Chops and Sweet Potato Casserole will be served this evening.

Sweet Potato Casserole
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup margarine, melted
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and halved
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg white
1 (5 oz) can evaporated milk

1. Preheat oven 350 degrees
2. Combine first 5 ingredients in small bowl, stirring to form streusel. Set aside
3. Place potatoes in pot covered with water. Bring to boil, cover and simmer 30 min or until tender. Drain. Mash in large bowl.
4. Stir in 1 cup of streusel topping, sugar, vanilla, egg white and milk.
5. Spoon into 2-qt. casserole coated with cooking spray. Top with remaining streusel.
6. Bake for 45 min.

Friday, November 12- Swedish Meatballs served over egg noodles will be tonight's dinner, thanks to a weekend excursion to Ikea!

Saturday, November 13- Date Night!! My husband and I are going out on the town so simple microwaved meals for the kids.

Sunday, November 14- Eggplant Rollatini will be attempted tonight.

I will follow my standard Eggplant Parmesan recipe to fry up the the eggplant however, I will cut them length wise. Once fried, I will loosely follow a recipe I found on Allrecipes.com with my additions.
1-2 cups ricotta cheese
1 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan
2 tsp. basil
1 clove minced garlic
8-10 slices prosciutto
Tomato Sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

In a bowl, beat the egg until lightly scrambled. Mix the ricotta in with the egg. Add 1/4 cup mozzarella, 1-2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and garlic and gently combine. Fold in basil just to combine. Do not overmix.

Place a slice of prosciutto on eggplant then place a tablespoon of the cheese mixture on 1 end of the eggplant and roll up tightly. Place the eggplant rollatini into a greased (with olive oil) 13 by 9-inch baking dish, seam side down. Continue with remaining eggplant. Evenly distribute the tomato sauce on top of the eggplant rollatini. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese and bake for 15 minutes.

Monday, November 15- Steak Fajitas with peppers and onions will be served for dinner tonight.

Tuesday, November 16- White Chicken Chili I'll update the blog with my recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment