Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

New Year's Resolution January 12-16 Menu

With the end of The Produce Box season at the end of November, I have found myself falling back into older habits (forgetting to plan out a weeks worth of menus BEFORE going food shopping). So with a new year comes resolutions, one of those for me is to get back in the saddle with planning out my meals each week. Not only does it mean making less trips to the grocery store each week but I find myself trying out new recipes or making different meals rather than making the same handful of dishes each week.

I have decided this week's menu will be based on the many recipes I have blogged and made this past Produce Box Season!

Wednesday, January 12- Due to an ice storm my dinner out with friends was postponed to tonight. So I need something quick and easy for my girls and husband. Macaroni and Cheese is always a crowd pleaser with a side salad for my husband and fresh fruit for my girls.

Thursday, January 13- From the end of August I will be making Butternut Vegetable Chicken Soup. I had frozen some of this soup and my Dad had it while visiting for the holidays. He too thought it was delicious. With these cold wintry days a tasty warm soup would be an ideal dish. My grocery store usually has pre-cut butternut squash, so if all fails I can always buy this.

Butternut Vegetable Chicken Soup
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup finely diced onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
4 large carrots, thinly sliced
2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
9-11 cups chicken broth
2 red potatoes, cubed
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 tsp. Each- nutmeg, cloves, allspice & cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups chopped baby spinach
2 (16 ounce) cans great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup half and half
1-2 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken breast
Directions
1. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the carrots and butternut squash; cook and stir until squash begins to brown, about 15 minutes.
2. Pour in the broth. Stir in the red potatoes, thyme, salt, pepper and spices, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in the spinach and great Northern beans, and simmer until the spinach is tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Pour about 3 cups of the soup into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full (you may have to do this in two batches). Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Return the pureed portion of the soup to the soup pot, leaving the remaining soup chunky. Alternately, you can use a stick blender and partially puree the soup right in the cooking pot. Stir in half and half and warm through.

Friday, January 14- I need something simple and quick tonight since my husband will be going out with friends after dinner. I found this past recipe from the first few days of September. Cheesy Grilled BBQ Chicken Wraps recipe at Kraftfoods.com However, I will add diced red onion and warmed black beans to each wrap. In an effort to make things easy, I will cook the chicken up Thursday night while making the soup.

**picture from Kraftfoods.com for illustration purposes**

Saturday, January 15- The weekend always seems to be filled with all sorts of activities and this weekend is no different. Therefore, it's the perfect day for a Crock Pot Dinner! (From October 9th)

Beef Stew
Ingredients
3 pounds cubed beef stew meat
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup baby carrots
4 large potatoes, cubed
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups beef broth
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup liquid (wine, beef broth or water)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Directions
1. Place meat in a large plastic bag. Combine 1/4 cup flour with 1/2 teaspoon salt; pour into the bag with the meat, and shake to coat.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add stew meat, and cook until evenly browned on the outside. Transfer to a slow cooker along with the carrots, potatoes, onions, minced garlic and pepper.
3. Mix together 2 cups of beef broth and dry soup mix; pour into the slow cooker. Pour wine into slow cooker.
4. Cover, and cook on High for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to Low, and cook for 6 hours, or until meat is fork tender. In a small bowl or cup, mix together 2 tablespoons flour with 1/4 cup of liquid (beef broth, wine or water). Stir into stew, and cook uncovered for 15 minutes, or until thickened.

Sunday, January 16- From early November a simple and tasty dish-
Sweet Potatoes and Stuffing with Pork
I diced up sweet potatoes along with an onion and a bell pepper. I poured Italian dressing over the vegetables and baked for 15 minutes at 375 degrees. I then pushed the veggie mixture along the sides of the pan and spread stuffing mixture (which was mixed with 1 1/2 cups of water) down the center. I then placed 3 thick cut pork chops on top of the stuffing. I returned the pan to the oven for 45 minutes. Delicious, easy and simple!

Monday, January 17- Sausage and Peppers served over pasta with crusty bread. The kids are off and with a treat of lunch with Dad I opted for a quicker dinner. This makes great Italian subs for lunch the next day!

Tuesday, January 18- Grilled Steak with Black Bean Salad will be tonight's meal. I found this Black Bean Salad in July and we thought it was superb!

No comments:

Post a Comment