Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Monday, November 7, 2011

November 7- November 13

I did get a Box last week but never composed a menu for the week.  Unfortunatley, that meant my zucchini and yellow squash spoiled before I remembered to use it.  Oh well, lesson learned.
This week our Box contains:
  • Green Cabbage
  • Red Radishes 
  • Butternut Squash
  • Pink Lady Apples 
  • Green Peppers 
  • Roma Tomatoes 
  • Zucchini 
  • Globe Eggplant
Between last weeks apples and this weeks bounty of apples, I will be making either apple muffins, an apple cake and/or an apple pie.

Monday, November 7- Steak Fajitas using the Voodoo Haitian marinade along with sauteed onions and peppers will make up tonight's meal. 
 Voodoo Haitian Marinade
  • 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin
Dissolve bouillon in water. Stir in the garlic, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Toss the meat in the marinade, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.




Tuesday, November 8- I intend to grill a Marinated Pork Tenderloin and serve with roasted sweet potatoes (from a previous Box) and green beans.  I used this marinade recipe in the oven and the left over pork made excellent stir fry.  I will grill the tenderloin this time but plan on using the leftovers for a stir fry meal later in the week again.
Marinated Pork Tenderloin

  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 4 tablespoons sherry
  • 1/2 small onion minced
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 2 (3/4 pound) pork tenderloins (I will be using just 1)

Directions

  1. Place soy sauce, brown sugar, sherry, onion, cinnamon, olive oil, and garlic in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal, and shake to mix. Fork the tenderloin.  Then place pork in bag with marinade, seal, and refrigerate for 6 to 12 hours.
  2. Lightly oil grate. Place tenderloin on grate, reserve marinade. Cook over indirect heat for 45 minutes, or to desired doneness. 
  3.  Let rest 5-10 minutes covered in foil.  
  4. While meat rests, place reserved marinade in a saucepan and heat.  Dilute with some water.  Add cornstarch to thicken, bring to boil and let simmer until sauce has thickened.
  5. Slice into medallions, and serve with gravy.
 Wednesday, November 9- Since it is just the girls and I tonight, I am thinking pasta in a vodka sauce with diced roma tomato sprinkled on top along with a loaf of bread.

Thursday, November 10- Tonight is Spirit Night at Chick fil a, so that takes care of dinner for this evening.

Friday, November 11-  I am not quite sure what is happening with dinner tonight.  I may make Mac N Cheese for the girls and us adults will eat later or it will be breakfast for dinner.

Saturday, November 12-  I will stir fry tonight using the leftover pork tenderloin and incorporating chopped cabbage, julienne sliced zucchini and red radishes from our Box.  I hope to mimick my husband's wonderful stir fry he made for us a few weeks ago.

Sunday, November 13- If we don't get the Giants game on cable and my husband has finished is big weekend project, we'll go out to dinner at MacGregor Draft House to catch the game.  If we get the game at home, then I am thinking pizza and wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment