Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Monday, March 26, 2012

March 26- April 1

The children were tracked out and we traveled during this time as well.  So my menus weren't always followed or even created during this time.  But now we are back to our typical schedule which also means better meal planning.

Monday, March 26-  We hit the week running with many after-school activities scheduled this week.  Tonight is soccer practice.  Therefore, I need a simply and easy meal to prepare between homework and running out the door for practice.  Fajitas for me and quesidillas for the girls tonight!

Tuesday, March 27-  I may not be home for dinner, in which case it's Mac N Cheese.  Should my plans fall through I will throw something together....

Wednesday, March 28-  I am thinking tortellini in a garlic white sauce with asparagus or a fresh salad.  I will use prepackaged tortellini and a powder sauce.

Thursday, March 29-  It's just us girls tonight.  I am thinking breakfast for dinner tonight!

Friday, March 30-  Grilled steak along with this tweaked rice recipe I came across on skinnytaste.com
Baked Rice and Peas
Servings: 5 • Serving Size: 3/4 cup Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 4 pts
Calories: 173.7 • Fat: 1.5 g Protein: 5.5 g Carb: 34.4 g Fiber: 2.0 g 

  • 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
  • 14.5 oz can fat free chicken broth
  • 1 tsp butter
  • 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 diced onion
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 5 oz (1/2 package) frozen peas
Preheat oven to 350°. Combine all ingredients in a oven-safe baking dish with a lid. Place a piece of tin foil between the lid and the dish to ensure no steam escapes. Bake 45 minutes (do not open, do not peek, do not stir to rice). When 45 minutes is up, remove from oven and let it sit for 10 more minutes to allow the steam to finish cooking the rice, (do not open, do not peek, do not stir to rice). After 10 minutes, remove lid and fluff with a fork.
 
Saturday, March 31-  I am thinking of grilling boneless pork strips and serve it along with baked beans and maybe some corn on the cob (most likely the frozen ones since it's way too early for fresh).

Sunday, April 1-  I would like to roast a chicken tonight.  If I do I will add some cut lemon into it's cavity along with some garlic cloves.  I plan on making Southern Green Beans and if there is any rice left from earlier in the week that will round out tonight's meal.  If we don't have any of the rice left, I'll pick up some small dinner rolls.
Southern Green Beans
4 slices bacon
1 large onion sliced
4 cans green beans
salt and black pepper

Fry bacon, remove bacon before it becomes crispy.
In bacon fat fry onion until tender.
Pour 4 cans of green beans into pot. If more water is needed add until green beans are covered.
Season with salt and pepper.
Add bacon.
Bring to boil then let Simmer for about 30-45 minutes. (add water as necessary)

No comments:

Post a Comment