Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

It's Produce Box Season Again!!

Well I fell off the regimen of composing a daily dinner menu which of course leads to extra take out nights and extra runs to the grocery store too.  But finally it's here again, the force which happily keeps me on task, Produce Box Season!  
Officially last week was the first delivery of the 2012 season.  I am happy to report that I will be delivering for the next month and a half for The Produce Box, while one of the regular drivers is out on maternity leave.

Our Box last week consisted of Romaine lettuce, 2 cucumbers, sweet potatoes, one bunch of spinach, a carrot sample and a double batch of strawberries.

Between strawberries and cream for desserts and toppings for pancakes and yogurts the strawberries quickly vanished!  I used the spinach in a side dish of wilted spinach and garlic (seasoned with a little red pepper too).  The romaine has been used in BLT sandwiches and salads.  The cucumbers have also garnished my salads as well.  The carrot sample was deliciously eaten up the first night in a orange glaze.  I still have the sweet potatoes and will likely use them in my always yummy sweet potato casserole or I'll make again the Sweet Potato Cake.

I am behind on posting this menu and plan to get better at posting my future menus as before the day of delivery day.

Sweet Potato Cake
2 1/2 self rising flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups oil
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1/4 cup Hot water
1 1/2 cups peeled and grated sweet potatoes
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together flour and cinnamon.  In another bowl mix oil and sugar; add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add water and sweet potatoes; mix well.  Add pecans and vanilla.  Add flour mixture; beat til smooth.  Pour into 3 9" layer pans or one 9x13 pan (greased and floured)
Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.
Frost after cooling.
Recipe reprinted from Michelle Gemmel

I used vanilla cake frosting and omitted the pecans because I didn't have any on hand.  This cake was moist and delicious.  The only change I would try next time is adding a bit more spice to the cake batter with the incorporation of some nutmeg and allspice. Although super moist I am wondering if I could reduce the oil just a bit.  I did not have self rising flour on hand but was able to make my own. (For every cup of self rising flour add 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt.)

 Sweet Potato Casserole 7 WW Points  
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup margarine, melted
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and halved
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg white
1 (5 oz) can evaporated milk

1. Preheat oven 350 degrees
2. Combine first 5 ingredients in small bowl, stirring to form streusel. Set aside
3. Place potatoes in pot covered with water. Bring to boil, cover and simmer 30 min or until tender. Drain. Mash in large bowl.
4. Stir in 1 cup of streusel topping, sugar, vanilla, egg white and milk.
5. Spoon into 2-qt. casserole coated with cooking spray. Top with remaining streusel.
6. Bake for 45 min.
Serving: 3/4 cup
Calories: 376  Fat: 8.8g  Saturated fat: 1.4g  Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g  Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g  Protein: 5.4g  Carbohydrate: 70.1g  Fiber: 3.8g  Cholesterol: 1mg  Iron: 1.9mg  Sodium: 115mg  Calcium: 97mg

1 comment: