Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Loaded Sweet Potato- Perfect Quick Lunch


 


I decided to make a fulfilling healthy lunch which also left enough leftover topping for use in tomorrow's lunch!  I modified the original recipe which I found on skinnytaste.com  I will use the leftover topping as the filling for a bean burrito for tomorrow's lunch.

Loaded Baked Sweet Potato “Healthified”

  • 1 medium sized sweet potatoes
  • 1 tsp olive or canola oil
  • 1/4 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp paprika or smoked paprika
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • salt
  • 1can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 cup mild or spicy salsa
Poke holes in the potato with a fork, cook on your microwave’s potato setting until potatoes are soft and cooked through (about 8-10 minutes on high for 4 potatoes).
Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add peppers, onions, chili powder, paprika, cumin and salt; cook until the onions have caramelized slightly, about 5 minutes. Add black beans, stir to combine and heat through (about another 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in salsa.
Slice the potato lengthwise down the middle  Top 1/2 cup of black bean mixture.  Garnish with lite sour cream and Mexican cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment