Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Monday, March 24, 2014

March 24-March 27

On Friday I received my Produce Box which consisted of:
  • variety of peppers
  • carrots
  • cucumbers
  • tomatoes
  • strawberries
  • tangerines
The strawberries and tangerines have been great snacks and healthy sides to our meals.  I will blanch some of the carrots for later use and consume the remaining carrots with a meal.  The cucumbers and tomatoes will be added to fresh greens or a yummy salad.  

Friday and Saturday were pizza night and take out due to a Girl Scout sleepover.
Sunday I was still recovering from being up all night long, so we opted for fried chicken that evening.

Now the week has begun and I plan to be better at preparing meals!
Monday, March 24-  Soccer practice tonight.  So the girls will have tacos with peppers from our Box.  Hubby and I will have baked fish along with fresh carrots from our Box.

Tuesday, March 25- Scouts tonight!  I need simple and easy.  I am thinking of sausage and peppers, with peppers from our Box.

Wednesday, March 26- My parents are visitng and they always enjoy my chicken enchiladas.
 Chicken Enchiladas  approx. 7 WW Pts.
1 lb chicken
4oz can of chopped green chile peppers (I'll be using my hot green chiles from last week's Box)
1 small onion
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1 tsp chili powder
Small Can of Enchilada Sauce
1 package of large sized soft flour tortillas
1 package Mexican cheese (or cheddar)

1. Heat large skillet on med/high heat. Add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to coat pan
3. Cook chicken through about 8-10 minutes.
4. While chicken is cooking chop onion
5. Remove chicken to cutting board, add chopped onion to skillet and chili powder
6. While onion is cooking, dice up chicken
7. In a small bowl combine the can of cream of chicken soup, 1/2 cup of sour cream & 2 tablespoons of enchilada sauce. Mix and set aside.
8. Once onion is tender add chicken, green chilies, about 1/4 cup of sour cream mixture & enchilada sauce (add enough to add moisture to skillet about 1-3 tablespoons) Stir and Heat through.
9. In a 9 x 13 baking dish lightly cover bottom of pan with the sour cream mixture.
10. Add chicken mixture to tortillas and roll up, place seam side down in baking dish. (tortillas can be touching each other in dish)
11. Cover tortillas with remaining sour cream mixture and sprinkle with cheese
12. Bake in a 350 degree oven covered for 20-25 minutes then uncover and bake additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.

**Meal can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated. When ready to bake add 15 minutes to bake time or until heated through.

Thursday, March 27- We have tickets to pizza and a movie!  No cooking tonight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment