Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Menu September 1- 7

I am looking forward to the first apple delivery of the season. My fruit laden box this week consists of 3 Macintosh Apples, 3 Gala Apples, 3 Granny Smith Apples, 4 Peaches, 3 Field Tomatoes, a personal Watermelon, a Sprite Melon and 5 Cucumbers. I also received 2 lbs. of Sweet Potatoes.

Notes about last week:

I eventually made all the meals I had set out to do last week, with some minor re-tuning. The soup was excellent! Below is my alternations to the recipe. Although it never cooled down, the homemade soup was a great alternative for dinner. I will definitely keep this soup recipe around!

Butternut Vegetable Chicken Soup

1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup finely diced onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
4 large carrots, thinly sliced
2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
9-11 cups chicken broth
2 red potatoes, cubed
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 tsp. Each- nutmeg, cloves, allspice & cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups chopped baby spinach
2 (16 ounce) cans great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup half and half
Directions
1. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the carrots and butternut squash; cook and stir until squash begins to brown, about 15 minutes.
2. Pour in the broth. Stir in the red potatoes, thyme, salt, pepper and spices, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in the spinach and great Northern beans, and simmer until the spinach is tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Pour about 3 cups of the soup into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full (you may have to do this in two batches). Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Return the pureed portion of the soup to the soup pot, leaving the remaining soup chunky. Alternately, you can use a stick blender and partially puree the soup right in the cooking pot. Stir in half and half and warm through.

What to do with my Box?
With all the fruit in this week's Box, I am left to my own devices to come up with exciting dishes to make for dinner.


I have intentions of making an apple pie with my fantastic homemade cinnamon crust to share at our Labor Day BBQ this weekend. I also am thinking of making some homemade applesauce (Spiced Slow Cooker Applesauce) with my girls. They love being my Sous Chefs! I also plan on making the Peach Cobbler Bread I have made before with rave results from my girls. This makes both a great dessert or sweet breakfast treat.

Wednesday, Sept. 1- Cheesy Grilled BBQ Chicken Wraps recipe at Kraftfoods.com will be dinner tonight. However, I will add diced red onion and warmed black beans to each wrap. Also I am simplifying dinner by using a refrigerator package of cooked chicken strips. The leftovers will be great for lunch too. **picture from Kraftfoods.com for illustration purposes**

Thursday, Sept. 2- Tonight couldn't be busier if I tried! Between a doctor's appointment, soccer practice, a Girl Scout meeting and a parent preschool orientation, I truly don't have the time to create a gourmet feast. So I am thinking the girls will have something quick and easy and my husband and I will fend for ourselves along the way.

Friday Sept. 3- Grilled Steak seasoned with the Chef Bobby Buzz's Espresso Rub (a bonus sample received in a previous Produce Box) served with Grilled Sweet Potatoes.

Grilled Sweet Potatoes
2 large sweet potatoes, sliced
1 apple - peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp white sugar
drizzle of maple syrup
1/4 cup butter

Directions
1. Preheat an outdoor grill.
2. In a bowl, toss the sweet potato and apple slices with the cinnamon and sugar. Place on a large piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle with maple syrup and top with butter. Tightly seal foil around.
3. Place foil packet on the grill, and cook 40 minutes, turning every 5 to 10 minutes, until potatoes and apples are tender.
**Recipe originally from allrecipes.com with a few modifications**

Saturday, September 4- We will be heading out to the Western Wake Farmer's Market in the morning. I'll keep a lookout for zucchini and yellow squash. If I can get my hands on them, tonight's dinner will be Squash and Zucchini Burritos.

Sunday, September 5- We are having a backyard BBQ with friends to send off Summer. Cheeseburgers with slices of fresh tomato along with hotdogs, summer salads, apple pie and campfire S'mores.

Monday, September 6- Tonight we are having the Peach and Honey Chicken served over rice from last week's menu. With a little reworking of my menu plan I have finally gotten around to making this meal. I found this recipe online but wanted to change it up some.

Peach and Honey Chicken
Generous turn of Olive Oil
1 clove minced garlic
4-6 chicken breasts
1/2 onion, sliced
5 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup water
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1-3 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons water
2 peaches, peeled and sliced

Directions

1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Stir in the garlic, and cook for a minute or two until the garlic softens and mellows.
2. Stir in the sliced onion. Cook and stir until the onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes, then stir in the honey, soy sauce, ginger, and 1 cup of water.
3. Add the chicken to the skillet, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, spread the lemon slices overtop, cover with a lid, and simmer until the chicken is tender and no longer pink, about 10-15 minutes.
4. Once the chicken has cooked, remove to a serving platter and keep warm. Dissolve the cornstarch in 2 teaspoons of water, and stir into the simmering sauce. Add the peaches, and chicken and cook until the sauce thickens and returns to a simmer. Pour sauce over chicken to serve.

Tuesday, September 7- With the leftover hotdog rolls from our Labor Day BBQ, I plan on serving grilled Italian Sausage Sandwiches with grilled peppers and onions. I'll also make some macaroni salad using up the rest of the tomatoes from my Box.

No comments:

Post a Comment