Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

October 6-12

With the Produce Box on a 2 week hiatus I was left to come up with my own inspiration for menus. Of course I fell into the traps of take out would be so much easier a couple of nights. I did make Butternut Squash Quick Bread by replacing the pumpkin in my pumpkin bread recipe. I must say it turned excellent and will repeat that recipe again. Although I did indulge in a few nights reprieve of cooking, I am proud to say that I came up with some decent menus over these last 2 weeks. But I am definitely excited about this week's return of the Produce Box!

This weeks Box marks the start of the Fall season boxes. My box includes: 3 small Eggplants, a pint of Cherry Tomatoes, Beans, 2 large Garlic Bulbs, 5 Zucchinis and a variety of 10 Apples.

My girls have been asking for zucchini bread and with the arrival of my Box I will quickly be at work baking up a few loaves.

Wednesday, October 6- My husband requested our delicious slow cooker Chili and it's a perfect meal for tonight.

Thursday, October 7- Quick and easy tonight-Cheese Quesidillas and Marinated Steak Fajitas

Friday, October 8- Garlic Italian Grilled Chicken with the Beans from my Box, there was a recipe in the newsletter which I am considering making up with the beans, and homemade macaroni salad.

Saturday, October 9- With soccer games and hopefully a stop at the farm to pick pumpkins, it's the perfect day for a Crock Pot Dinner.

Beef Stew
Ingredients
3 pounds cubed beef stew meat
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup baby carrots
4 large potatoes, cubed
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups beef broth
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup liquid (wine, beef broth or water)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Directions
1. Place meat in a large plastic bag. Combine 1/4 cup flour with 1/2 teaspoon salt; pour into the bag with the meat, and shake to coat.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add stew meat, and cook until evenly browned on the outside. Transfer to a slow cooker along with the carrots, potatoes, onions, minced garlic and pepper.
3. Mix together 2 cups of beef broth and dry soup mix; pour into the slow cooker. Pour wine into slow cooker.
4. Cover, and cook on High for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to Low, and cook for 6 hours, or until meat is fork tender. In a small bowl or cup, mix together 2 tablespoons flour with 1/4 cup of liquid (beef broth, wine or water). Stir into stew, and cook uncovered for 15 minutes, or until thickened.

Sunday, October 10- I will be making my Eggplant Parmesan with the eggplant from my Box plus a few I picked up at a local farm stand and using my homemade Tomato Sauce (which I cooked up earlier in the Summer and froze). A fresh garden salad, with my home grown cucumbers and the cherry tomatoes from my Produce Box will accompany the meal.

Monday, October 11-I made something in the past similar to the below recipe and I think I will try this recipe from Woman's Day tonight using some of the garlic from by Box.
White Bean and Sausage Cassoulet Recipe
Ingredients
2 tsp oil
3 links (10 oz) Italian sausage
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
3 cans (15.5 oz each) Great Northern beans, rinsed
2 cans (14.5 oz each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1⁄2 cup water
1 tsp dried thyme leaves

Seasoned Crumb Topping
2 tsp oil
1 tsp minced garlic
2 cups coarse fresh bread crumbs from a baguette
2 Tbsp each grated Parmesan and chopped parsley

Recipe Preparation

1. Heat oven to 375ºF. You’ll need a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil.
2. Heat oil in a 5-qt pot over medium heat. Brown sausages on all sides until cooked through, about 6 minutes. Remove to plate.
3. In fat remaining in saucepan, sauté carrots, celery, onion and garlic until golden, about 5 minutes.
4. Cut sausages into 1⁄4-in.-thick slices. Add sausages, beans, tomatoes and their juices, water and thyme to saucepan. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes or until heated through and flavors are blended.
5. Topping: Toss oil and garlic with bread crumbs; spread on prepared baking sheet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, tossing once, until toasted. Cool slightly; stir in Parmesan and parsley. Serve Topping with cassoulet.

Tuesday, October 12- If there are many leftovers, then we will have a smorgasbord of left overs tonight. Otherwise, I will need to come up with something, let the inspiration flow!

No comments:

Post a Comment