Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

May 25- May 31

I FINALLY made the slow cooker pork chops this week and they were pretty tasty.  Simple and easy which is always a big plus with me!

The Fish Tostados from last week were made with some modifications.  I sauteed the red onions and peppers.  I had some corn and black beans left over from another recipe and added them to the pepper saute.  After cooking the fish, I chunked it up and returned to the pan along with the 1/4 cup of ranch dressing to heat up the dressing.  I thought these were refreshing and a different spin on my standard fajita meal.

In addition to our Box, we ordered an add on of Old Log Cabin Mercantile's Sweet n' Spicy Pecans.  Our Produce Box this week contains:
  • 1 pint blueberries
  • Pointed Head Cabbage
  • 1 bunch sweet Texas onions
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • 3-4 Tomatoes
  • 4 small Yellow Squash  
  • 1 English Cucumber
Wednesday, May 25-  With my husband at his golf outing and one child feeling under the weather, simplicity is key!  I will use the tomatoes from my Box to make up a BLT sandwich for me.   Cut up cucumbers and tomatoes will accompany grilled cheese sandwiches for my girls.

Thursday, May 26-  I will grill steak along with some of the summer squash I got in this week's Box.  I will also use some of the sweet potatoes from my Box to make  Red and Sweet Potato Salad
I will halving the salad recipe.

Red and Sweet Potato Salad
  • 2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1-inch chunks
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup 2% milk
  • 2 celery ribs, chopped
  • 1 small red onion, chopped
  • 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley

Directions

  1. Place the red potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 2 minutes. Add sweet potatoes; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 8-10 minutes longer or until potatoes are fork-tender.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Drain potatoes; add to vinegar mixture and stir gently to coat. Cool.
  3. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and milk. Stir in the celery, onion and parsley. Gently stir into cooled potato mixture. Serve immediately or cover and chill.
Nutritional Analysis: 2/3 cup equals 136 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 360 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. 

Friday, May 27- My older daughter has an end of year pizza party to attend.  While she is enjoying pizza and friends, the rest of the family will have dinner out nearby.

Saturday, May 28-  Hamburgers and Hotdogs!  We are starting off the Summer season with a cookout!

Sunday, May 29- I saw this recipe in my BHG magazine.  I will use the cabbage from my Box to make up the slaw.
Thai Chicken Tacos
  • 1 lime, halved
  • 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts or tenders, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 large shallot, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1Tbsp. fish sauce
  • 2 tsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp. hot chili sauce (such as Sriracha)
  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 12 corn tortillas, heated
  • 1 recipe Cabbage Slaw
1. Juice one lime half (about 1 Tbsp.); cut remaining half in wedges. In bowl stir together chicken, cilantro, shallot, garlic, the 1 Tbsp. lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, pepper, and chili sauce. Cover; refrigerate 1 hour. In large skillet cook chicken mixture in hot oil over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked, stirring occasionally.
2. To serve, layer two tortillas. Top with chicken and Cabbage Slaw. Serve with remaining slaw and lime wedges. Makes 4 (2-taco) servings.

Cabbage Slaw: In a bowl toss together 2 cups shredded napa cabbage, 1/2 cup shredded carrot, 1/2 cup sliced green onions, 1/3 cup sliced radishes, 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, and 1/4 cup coarsely chopped peanuts (optional). Add 1/4 cup rice vinegar; toss.
nutrition facts
  • Calories454 Total Fat (g)11 Saturated Fat (g)1, Monounsaturated Fat (g)5, Polyunsaturated Fat (g)4, Cholesterol (mg)66, Sodium (mg)596, Carbohydrate (g)55, Total Sugar (g)4, Fiber (g)9, Protein (g)34, Vitamin C (DV%)54, Calcium (DV%)17,  Iron (DV%)18
Monday, May 30-  We may be going to the Zoo today.  If this is the case I am thinking we might do take out.

Tuesday, May 31-  I am thinking some kind of fish.....I'll need to think this one over some more.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment