Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

May 4- May 10

This week's Produce Box includes:
  • Kale
  • Orange Sweet Potatoes
  • 3 Tomatoes
  • 2 Cucumbers
  • Bok Choy
  • Strawberries
  • Fresh Mint (one bunch)
 As with any well designed plan, things don't always go as anticipated.  And last week's menu was no exception.  Some meals were reconfigured while others were completely skipped for another week.  Therefore, this week's menu contains some repeats from last week since I never had the opportunity to make them.  I did however, have the chance to make the Orzo Shrimp and Asparagus Salad.  First, it was a very tasty salad and a refreshing meal for a warm Spring day.  However, I think I would enjoy it more as a side dish rather than a main course meal.  I will keep it on the recipes to make again!

Of course my husband will be using the mint for Mint Juleps and/or Mojitas!

Wednesday, May 4- Since my husband isn't crazy for this sauce and he won't be home for dinner tonight, it's the perfect evening to make pasta with Cucumber Tomato Sauce and a loaf of bread.
Cucumber Tomato Sauce 2 WW Pts.
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 teaspoons dried basil
* 1 cup chopped roma (plum) tomatoes
* 1 teaspoon onion powder
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 4 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
* 2 cups diced cucumber
1. Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in garlic, and cook for a few minutes until fragrant, then stir in the dried basil, and cook for a few seconds more. Add the tomatoes, onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, black pepper, sugar, and salt. Bring to a simmer, then stir in the red pepper and cucumber. Continue simmering and stirring occasionally until the mixture has reduced to a sauce like consistency, 10 to 15 minutes.
Nutritional Information:    Calories: 114 | Total Fat: 9.3g | Cholesterol: 0mg  * Sodium: 102mg  * Total Carbs: 8g  * Dietary Fiber: 1.3g  * Protein: 1g

**NOTE: I added some red wine and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste.  Also I used 2 small tomatoes from my box and 1 can of petite diced tomatoes to the recipe.**

Thursday, May 5-  In light of the fact it's Cinco de Mayo, it will be fajitas and quesidillas tonight!  I think I will use the delicious Alton Brown steak fajita marinade for this evening's dinner.  I'll chop up some of my tomato from my Box to garnish the fajitas.  I will also grill up some of the asparagus I got as an add on in my box.

Friday, May 6-  I found the recipe below on allrecipes.com but the added and changed it up a bit for my liking.  To make it more of a main caourse I added the Italian Sausage.  (If I have asparagus leftover, I will incorporate this into this evening's meal.)

Vegetable Hash

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil-2
  • Italian Sausage
  • 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon butter
  • 1lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
  • 1-2 small sweet potatoes, diced
  • 1-2 shallots, finely chopped
  • 1/2 each green and red bell pepper, diced
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • pinch salt
  • pinch ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup chopped kale
  • 1 teaspoon ground sage

Directions

  1. Fry up sausage in pan.  Once cooked through remove from pan and cut up.  Keep warm.
  2. Place butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Melt butter and mix in potatoes, and shallot. Season with garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender.  Half-way through cooking, add peppers.
  3. Add broth to pan and Mix kale and sage into skillet. Continue cooking  15 minutes, until kale is wilted. 
  4. Add sausage to pan and mix.  Serve and enjoy!
Saturday, May 7- Stir Fry using the bok choy is on the agenda will update with recipe later.

Sunday, May 8- Since it is Mother's Day, I am taking the day off from cooking and throwing it into my husband's lap!

Monday, May 9- This was one of those meals that got reworked last week.  So I will try again to make this tasty sounding meal I found on allrecipes.com.  I'll serve the meal along with a fresh green salad made from my Box contents.
Easy Slow Cooker Pork Chops  12 WW Pts.
  • 4 (1 inch thick) pork chops
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 cup sliced onions
  • 1/4 cup chicken stock
  • 1 (20 ounce) can apple pie filling
  • 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks

Directions

  1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season pork chops with salt and pepper, and then brown them in the hot skillet. Remove from heat.
  2. Spray the inside surface of a slow cooker with cooking spray. Arrange sliced onions in the bottom, and place pork chops on top of onions. Pour chicken stock over chops, and top with apple pie filling. Cook on Low for 5 to 6 hours, adding sweet potatoes during the last 3 hours of cooking.
Nutritional Information     Servings Per Recipe: 4
Calories: 567  Total Fat: 11.9g  Cholesterol: 59mg  Sodium: 1299mg  Total Carbs: 88.1g  Dietary Fiber: 9g  Protein: 28.3g

Tuesday, May 10- I haven't finalized my decision for tonight's meal.  It could be leftovers if I need to make room in the fridge.  Otherwise I will come up with something soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment