Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sweet Potato Cake

In the Produce Box's newsletter was a recipe for Sweet Potato Cake.  Seeing I have quite a number of sweet potatoes on hand I figured I'd give the recipe a shot.

Sweet Potato Cake
2 1/2 self rising flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups oil
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1/4 cup Hot water
1 1/2 cups peeled and grated sweet potatoes
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together flour and cinnamon.  In another bowl mix oil and sugar; add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add water and sweet potatoes; mix well.  Add pecans and vanilla.  Add flour mixture; beat til smooth.  Pour into 3 9" layer pans or one 9x13 pan (greased and floured)
Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.
Frost after cooling.
Recipe reprinted from Michelle Gemmel

I used vanilla cake frosting and omitted the pecans because I didn't have any on hand.  This cake was moist and delicious.  The only change I would try next time is adding a bit more spice to the cake batter with the incorporation of some nutmeg and allspice. Although super moist I am wondering if I could reduce the oil just a bit.  I did not have self rising flour on hand but was able to make my own. (For every cup of self rising flour add 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt.)

No comments:

Post a Comment