Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Friday, June 3, 2011

June 1- June 7

My family had the unfortunate luck of hosting a visiting stomach bug which swept through our house.  Therefore, of course, much of last week's menu went out the window!  Despite family members dropping like flies to this virus, I was still able to utilize most of my Box.
Hopefully, this week's Box will also bring complete wellness to my family once again!
My Box consisted of:
  • 1 quart Strawberries
  • 1 pint Blueberries
  • 1.5 lbs tomatoes
  • Napa Cabbage
  • Yellow Squash  (2 lbs)
  • Red Potatoes
picture from allrecipes.com
My menu began yesterday, Thursday, with sauteed squash, zucchini (I picked up Tuesday at the Western Wake Farmer's Market), green onions (from last week's Box) and diced fresh tomatoes served over pasta.  Tonight, my husband and I are going out for a much needed kid free experience. 

I will using up the rest of the zucchini I bought along with the blueberries from my Box to make up some Blueberry Zucchini Bread  I made this with only 2 cups of sugar and before baking I added a mixture of brown sugar, white sugar and all spice to the tops of the loaves.  I also made it in 2 loaf pans baked for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Saturday, June 4- I am thinking of either grilling or using my Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker to make up some Italian Style Fish (olive oil, Italian seasonings, minced garlic, diced tomatoes and a splash of fresh lemon juice).  If I grill I'll serve it with my Camper Red Potato Packets (sliced red potatoes, dabs of butter, sliced onion or onion powder- grilled until browned and crispy about 30-40 minutes on low heat).  I might make the recipe I read in the Produce Box's newseltter, Garlic Red Potatoes. (If I make this version I will post the recipe)
Sunday, June 5-  Since I didn't make this last week due to illnesses, I plan on making it tonight.  I saw this recipe in my BHG magazine.  I will use the cabbage from my Box to make up the slaw.

Thai Chicken Tacos

  • 1 lime, halved
  • 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts or tenders, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 large shallot, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1Tbsp. fish sauce
  • 2 tsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp. hot chili sauce (such as Sriracha)
  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 12 corn tortillas, heated
  • 1 recipe Cabbage Slaw
1. Juice one lime half (about 1 Tbsp.); cut remaining half in wedges. In bowl stir together chicken, cilantro, shallot, garlic, the 1 Tbsp. lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, pepper, and chili sauce. Cover; refrigerate 1 hour. In large skillet cook chicken mixture in hot oil over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked, stirring occasionally.
2. To serve, layer two tortillas. Top with chicken and Cabbage Slaw. Serve with remaining slaw and lime wedges. Makes 4 (2-taco) servings.

Cabbage Slaw: In a bowl toss together 2 cups shredded napa cabbage, 1/2 cup shredded carrot, 1/2 cup sliced green onions, 1/3 cup sliced radishes, 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, and 1/4 cup coarsely chopped peanuts (optional). Add 1/4 cup rice vinegar; toss.
nutrition facts
  • Calories454 Total Fat (g)11 Saturated Fat (g)1, Monounsaturated Fat (g)5, Polyunsaturated Fat (g)4, Cholesterol (mg)66, Sodium (mg)596, Carbohydrate (g)55, Total Sugar (g)4, Fiber (g)9, Protein (g)34, Vitamin C (DV%)54, Calcium (DV%)17,  Iron (DV%)18
Monday, June 6- Grilled Steak with grilled summer squash (thick sliced and halved drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with Tastefully Simple's Garlic Garlic).  If I don't marinate the steak, then I may sprinkle the grilling seasoning from Tastefully Simple over the beef before grilling.

Tuesday, June 7-  If it isn't left over night, then I will make fajitas.  Tuesdays are a busy night with our family eating in shifts.  Quesdillas for the girls earlier and a quick easy fajita meal for us later that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment