Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

June 8- June 14

This week's Produce Box consists of:
  • 1 quart sweet Red Cherries
  • 1 pint Blueberries
  • 6 ears Sweet Corn
  • Fingerling or Red Potatoes
  • Green Squash Variety (2 lbs)
  • Greenhouse cucumber
I will using the zucchini along with the blueberries from my Box to make up some more Blueberry Zucchini Bread  I made this with only 2 cups of sugar.  I also made it in 2 loaf pans baked for 1 hour and 10 minutes.I will be making some more zucchini blueberry bread.  And blueberry smoothies!
    Wednesday, June 8-  I delivered for the Produce Box today, filling in for one of the area coordinators.  It was a big delivery and HOT!  Tonight I have a school function to attend as well.  I think it will be either be sandwiches accompanied by the fruit in my Box.  Or take out.

    Thursday, June 9- BBQ Pork Sandwiches and corn on the cob is tonight's meal.  I will use my Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker to microwave some boneless pork strips sprinkled with some BBQ seasoning.
    • Brush with oil and rub seasoning onto pork. Place into baker, cover and microwave on HIGH for 6-10 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 150. Remove from microwave, keep it covered for 10 minutes allowing the temperature to rise to 160. Top with Barbecue Sauce and server as main dish, or shred meat and use in sandwiches.
    Barbecue Sauce

    1 cup ketchup
    2 Tbsp Barbecue Rub
    ¼ cup brown sugar
    2 tsp cider or white vinegar
    • Combine ingredients and bring to boil, stir occasionally.
    Friday, June 10-  One of my daughter's will be attending a pizza sleepover, I think this may be an excuse for the rest of us to go out for dinner!
    Saturday, June 11- Grilled Chicken and Peaches tonight.  I hope to stop by DJ's Berry Patch today and pick up some peaches. 

    Grilled Chicken and Peaches
    1 cup  Italian Dressing 
    4 small  boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 lb.)
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup  molasses
    4 ripe peaches, halved, pitted
     
    POUR dressing over chicken; cover. Refrigerate 1 hour to marinate. Drain chicken; discard marinade. Mix vinegar and molasses until well blended; brush onto cut sides of peach halves. Set aside.
    PREHEAT greased grill to medium heat. Grill chicken 8 min. on each side or until chicken is cooked through (180°F), adding peaches to the grill for the last 6 min. of the chicken grilling time and turning and brushing peaches occasionally with any remaining vinegar mixture.
    PLACE chicken on serving platter. Cut peaches into slices; spoon over chicken. Drizzle with any remaining vinegar mixture.
    Variation  Prepare as directed, using 4 boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick (about 1 lb.). Grill 6 to 7 min. on each side or until chops are cooked through.

    Sunday, June 12-  I never made the Italian Style Fish.  I think tonight that will be dinner.  Italian Style Fish (olive oil, Italian seasonings, minced garlic, diced tomatoes and a splash of fresh lemon juice).  I'll serve it with my Camper Red Potato Packets (sliced red potatoes, dabs of butter, sliced onion or onion powder- grilled until browned and crispy about 30-40 minutes on low heat). 

    Monday, June 13-  I have had a yearning for some homemade Baked Ziti.  So tonight we'll have baked ziti, bread and a green salad.

    Tuesday, June 14-  Mexican tonight!  This is the night when we can't eat as a full family due to golf lessons.  So the girls will have cheese quesidillas and we'll eat steak fajitas later.  I am hoping to use the great fajita steak marinade we found from Alton Brown.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment