Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

June 15- June 21

This week's Box contains:
  • 1 pint Blueberries
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Fresh Garlic Bulb
  • 6 ears Sweet Corn
  • Savoy Cabbage
  • Baby Eggplants (3)
  • Greenhouse cucumbers (3)
I also received a second pint of blueberries as a substitution for my cherries which I gave to another customer who was missing theirs while I was delivering last week.  In addition, I added onto my order a bag of sweet onions (6) and 3 half pints of blackberries.

Most of the berries will be used in smoothies, which my girls can't get enough of!  If we have any blueberries left to use, I'll either make my Blueberry Kuchen or throw them into our pancakes one morning.  My husband was thinking of using some of the blackberries for homemade ice cream.

Wednesday, June 15-  It's just us girls tonight and since piano lessons are earlier this evening, I am contemplating take out.  However, should I decide to cook in tonight, I am thinking waffles or pancakes (maybe even with some of our fresh blueberries!).

Thursday, June 16-  I'm going to try my hand at Unstuffed Cabbage as printed in a previous newsletter from a fellow Box recipient and blogger.

Unstuffed Cabbage
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
12 oz of any- ground turkey, chicken, or beef
5 cups coarsely shredded cabbage
2- 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill, or 1 tsp dried
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1. Coat large non-stick skillet with non-stick spray. Over medium-high heat, brown meat, breaking up with wooden spoon. Half way through browning, add onion and garlic continue browning meat.  Drain fat.  Add Cabbage; cover and cook 3 minutes, or until wilted.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors. Good with rice.

Friday, June 17-  I will use my baby eggplants to make Eggplant Parmesan.  Since I am sure these eggplants will not yield an abundance of fried eggplants and I have company for dinner tonight, I will also make up some spaghetti and Italian sausage for dinner.  We'll have a garden salad using some of own garden grown tomatoes and sliced bread.

Saturday, June 18-  My In-Laws are in town.  We will be going out to dinner tonight.  Maybe we'll hit Red Robin.

Sunday, June 19-  In honor of Father's Day, we will be having marinated steaks from the Meat House of Cary (one of my husbands favorites) served along with our corn on the cob from our Box.  I will also make up some oven roasted garlic potatoes.

Monday, June 20- Hamburgers and homemade Macaroni Salad will comprise this evening's meal.  I received a few Boxes ago a sample which can be used in ground beef among other uses.  I plan on incorporating the seasoning into the ground beef and form hamburger patties to grill.  I will also make up some homemade macaroni salad using my cherry tomatoes in the salad.

Tuesday, June 21-  Tonight is golf lessons which means eating in shifts for dinner.  I will throw something quick and simple together for the girls along with fruit. At the moment I am a little stumped for dinner for my husband and I .  Maybe I'll find inspiration from this week's newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment