Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Monday, April 29, 2013

Salad Everywhere!

My Produce Box consisted of the following:
  • Romaine Lettuce
  • Green Leaf Lettuce
  • White Sweet Potatoes
  • Strawberries
  • Carrots
  • Raw Peanuts
  • Cucumber

Friday, April 26- I made sloppy joes with a side of mashed white sweet potatoes.
Mashed White Sweet Potatoes
Peel and cube potatoes
Boil til soft
Add milk and butter and mash
Add a little half and half, sprinkle ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg
Stir and serve

Saturday, April 27-  We went out to dinner since everyone was scattered about!

Sunday, April 28-  My hubby gave me the night off my making dinner tonight :)

Monday, April 29- I picked up marinated  pork lion at the supermarket last week.  I will probably oven roast it since it is a rainy day today.  Should the weather break, I may grill it instead.  I will use some of the orange sweet potatoes from last week's box to make my sweet potato casserole and honey glazed carrots.

Sweet Potato Casserole 7 WW Points  
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup margarine, melted
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and halved
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg white
1 (5 oz) can evaporated milk

1. Preheat oven 350 degrees
2. Combine first 5 ingredients in small bowl, stirring to form streusel. Set aside
3. Place potatoes in pot covered with water. Bring to boil, cover and simmer 30 min or until tender. Drain. Mash in large bowl.
4. Stir in 1 cup of streusel topping, sugar, vanilla, egg white and milk.
5. Spoon into 2-qt. casserole coated with cooking spray. Top with remaining streusel.
6. Bake for 45 min.
Serving: 3/4 cup
Calories: 376  Fat: 8.8g  Saturated fat: 1.4g  Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g  Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g  Protein: 5.4g  Carbohydrate: 70.1g  Fiber: 3.8g  Cholesterol: 1mg  Iron: 1.9mg  Sodium: 115mg  Calcium: 97mg 
Honey Glazed Carrots
Peel and slice carrots
Boil to desire tenderness (I add a splash of OJ to the water while boiling)
Drain return to stovetop
Add desired honey and splash of OJ 
Mix and heat to thin honey
Serve with a dallop of butter

Tuesday, April 30- With Girl Scouts this evening I opted for a rather simple meal, Southwest Chicken Salad.  I have made this other times in past seasons with my produce box vegetables.
Southwest Chicken Salad
1 small can corn, drained
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar and Monterey cheese blend
3 tomatoes, chopped
Chopped romaine lettuce
Catalina salad dressing
Southwest Style Chicken
Corn chips

In a large bowl, combine the corn, black beans, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. Add dressing and mix well. Cut up chicken and placed over salad. Add corn chips before serving.
I will use both romaine and green leaf lettuces from my box tonight.

Wednesday, May 1- I picked up rotisserie marinated chicken breasts which I will grill tonight.  Depending on how much lettuce we have remaining, I'll throw together a side salad along with homemade macaroni salad.

Thursday, May 2-  It's just the girls for dinner tonight.  I'm thinking tortellini or spaghetti and meatballs for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment