Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

TPB Box Has arrived!

Friday I got my 1st box of the 2013 Season!  My box consisted of:
  • 2 Tomatoes
  • 1 English Cucumber
  • Carrots
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Honey Whole Wheat Bread
  • Rutabagas
I also acquired one share of collards greens.

Friday, April 12-  Golf lessons tonight.  We were a split family eating take out.

Saturday, April 13-  There was a school event tonight.  My children ate afterward and after I was done volunteering I opted for take out as a simple way out.

Sunday, April 14-  Grilled chicken, mashed rutabagas, glazed carrots will be tonight's meal.
Simple Glazed Carrots
  1. Place carrots in a shallow saucepan, and cover with salted water. Boil until tender. Drain, and return carrots to pan.
  2. Pour orange juice over carrots, and mix well. Simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Stir in brown sugar, butter, and honey. Heat until butter and sugar melt.
Mashed Rutabagas 
Rutabagas
Milk/cream
Chicken Broth
Butter
Salt and Pepper
Thyme and Rosemary
Boil peeled and cubed rutabagas in salted chicken broth until tender.
Drain water, reserving a 1/4 cup in pot.  Begin mashing rutabagas.  Add milk or cream along with butter.  Continue mashing untill desired consistency.  Add additional cream and butter to liking.  Stir in pinch of Thyme, rosemary and garlic.

Monday, April 15Grilled pork, collard greens, left over mashed rutabaga will comprise tonight's meal.
Collard Greens (from allrecipes)
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 slices bacon
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
3 cups chicken broth
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1 pound fresh collard greens, cut into 2
-inch pieces
Directions:
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon, and cook until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, crumble and return to the pan. Add onion, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook until just fragrant. Add collard greens, and fry until they start to wilt.
2. Pour in chicken broth, and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until greens are tender.

    I saw on all recipes collards served with white beans and tomatoes.  I may adjust the recipe to add the canned tomatoes and beans during the last 20 minutes of cooking.

Tuesday, April 16-   Girl Scouts tonight.  I need quuick and simple.  Tortellini Alfredo and a garden salad with the tomatoes and cucumber from my Box.

Wednesday, April 17- Another Girl Scouts evening.  Simple and quick.  I am considering hot dogs, hamburgers, baked beans and fresh fruit. 

Thursday, April 18- Book Club tonight.  Another quick and simple meal is needed.  I'll either throw together chicken fajitas or perhaps I'll make white bean chicken chili. 

No comments:

Post a Comment