Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Menu July 28-August 3

It's Wednesday and that means Produce Box delivery day!


This weeks box includes 4 Ears of Corn, 6 Peaches, a head of Cabbage, Jalapeno Peppers, 2 Bell peppers, 10 Roma Tomoatoes and as our Surprise Farm Item- a personal Watermelon.

Wednesday- Tonight we are grilling. It's Hotdogs, Grilled Corn on the Cob and Grilled Peaches. For the peaches- slice the peaches and place on heavy duty tin foil sprayed with PAM, mix brown sugar & cinnamon together, sprinkle over peach slices, using approx. 1-2 tsp of vanilla extract pour over peach slices, dot with butter. Seal foil and place on grill for about 7-10 minutes or warmed through. For a richer dessert serve with some whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Thursday-Since my husband will not be home for dinner, I think it will be a simple meal like breakfast for dinner or maybe grilled cheese sandwiches.

Friday- I will make Homemade Coleslaw to accompany the Steak Fajitas (we just can't get enough-LOVE these!) and Grilled Pepper & Onions. I am sure my husband will want to add some of the jalapeno to our dinner tonight.
I will be planning my weekly stop at either DJ's Berry Patch or Western Wake Farmer's Market to pick up some additional produce items that I'll need for tonight and the next couple of meals. I encourage you to explore your local farm stands and markets. Fresh tasting produce and supporting local farmers are 2 very good reasons to venture out this weekend!

Coleslaw
1 head of Cabbage shredded
1/4 pound shredded or julienne Carrots
1 Onion finely chopped
1/2 cup Mayonaise
1 tablespoon Vinegar
2 teaspoons Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt

Mix Mayo, Vinegar, Sugar & Salt in non-reactivate bowl. Add shredded Cabbage, Carrots and diced Onion. Mix well. Chill before serving.

Saturday-The kids will have Macaroni and Cheese with watermelon while my husband & I celebrate my birthday.

Sunday- I will use the Roma Tomatoes from my Produce Box to make Tomato Sauce. I used this recipe a few weeks back with some minor alterations with rave reviews from my husband.
I altered the sauce recipe by using all the tomatoes in the puree (since my family does not like chunky sauces), 2 tsp dried oregano, 2 tsp dried rosemary, and 2 tsp of basil. I omitted the celery. After 2 hours of simmering, I added 2 tsp of ground pepper and 1 tsp salt. I will use the sauce in my Lasagna, cooked in my Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker in the microwave.

Monday- I will be making Grilled Teriyaki Tuna Wraps, we have made these many times before and love the refreshing meal this makes. Perfect for Summer grilling! I have substituted the arugula leaves with baby spinach.

Tuesday- I am searching for an interesting main course recipe to use up some of these jalapenos. I'll let you know what I find.


No comments:

Post a Comment