Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

It worked! Menu January 19- January 25

I don't know why I am surprised it worked.  I did it all Summer long.  Planning out last week's menu yielded different dinners breaking the habit of same old same old every night.  I also didn't feel like I lived at the grocery store.  Instead I made 2 trips, 1 for my initial weekly shopping and another for fresh bread and other fresh produce.  Plus, we had ample leftovers to freeze for another day as well as delicious lunches!

Wednesday, January 19Marinated Steak Fajitas will be tonight's meal.  We will not be able to eat as a family due to my daughter's book club meeting.  This meal is easy to make and my husband can reheat the steak easily to eat when he comes home.  

Thursday, January 20-  Tonight needs to be a quick dinner fixing evening due again to meetings and appointments.  As long as pork is on sale at the grocery store, I plan to use my crock pot to make Pulled BBQ Pork Sandwiches.  If boneless pork ribs are not on sale I will use boneless chicken breasts from my freezer.  I will make the Black Bean Salad I had put on last week's menu but didn't make (opting for a leftover night in place of Tuesday's menu).

Crock Pot Pulled BBQ Sandwiches
Place pork in crock pot.
Pour BBQ Sauce over meat and add your favorite grilling seasonings.
Cook on low for 6 hours.
Drain some liquid from crock pot, pull meat apart, add more BBQ sauce and cook an additional 15 minutes or until sauce is heated through.
Serve on sandwich rolls.

Friday, January 21-  We are having a dinner guest this evening.  As a treat for my daughter and her guest, I plan on picking up a Papa Murphy pizza to serve for dinner. 

Saturday, January 22Lemon Shrimp and Linguine  My father makes this meal as part of his VFW Dinners.  He also made it while visiting over the holidays and it was great.  I'll need to call him to get this recipe.

Sunday, January 23-   We are surprising our daughters with tickets to the live performance of The Lion King.  Since we won't get home until the early evening, I think we might use our Twongo coupon at Abbey Road.

Monday, January 24-  I think I have a beef roast in my freezer.  If so, I will use my slow cooker again tonight to make an Onion Flavored Beef Roast.

1 Onion cut up
1 Packet of Dried Onion Soup Mix
1 Cup of Beef Broth
1/4 cup of Red Wine
Onion Seasoning, Salt and Pepper
  1. Place cut up onion in slow cooker
  2. Using Onion Seasoning, salt and pepper, season the roast and place in slow cooker.
  3. Dissolve soup mix into the cup of broth and pour into slow cooker.
  4. Pour wine into the slow cooker and place on Low heat for 6-8 hours.
  5. If you wish to make a gravy: Take about 1-2 cups of liquid from slow cooker and pour into a saucepan, reserving 1/4-1/2 cup.  Dissolve approx. 1-2 tablespoons of flour into the reserved liquid.  Whisk the mixture into the saucepan.  Bring to boil and then simmer until thickened.
I am thinking Apple Sweet Potatoes will be a nice accompaniment to this dish.  (Recipe to come)

Tuesday, January 25Cheeseburgers and Sour Cream Potato Salad are on the menu tonight.
Sour Cream Potato Salad
Potatoes
2-3 Hard Boil Eggs
Mayonassie
1/2 cup Sour Cream
3 Green Onions
Bacon Bits
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  1. Boil potatoes until tender.
  2. Quarter potatoes.
  3. Mix mayo and 1/2 cup of sour cream into potatoes.
  4. Add 2-3 cut up hard boil eggs, diced tomatoes, 3 chopped green onions, bacon bits and shredded cheddar cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment