Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

October 13- October 19 Menu

This week's Box contains a variety of 8 Apples, 2 lbs. Irish Potatoes, 3 small Eggplant, Tomatoes, 3 lbs. Purple Sweet Potatoes and 1 Butternut Squash. Also in my Box was a pleasant surprise sample of air-dried sausage, Old Folks Country Sausage.

From last week's menu, I made Pumpkin Zucchini Bread much to my daughters' delight. However, I never made the White Bean and Sausage Cassoulet Recipe (I'll give it another chance this week). I think I will make some fresh Apple Cinnamon Muffins over the weekend with some of the apples from my Box. I'm not sure how I want to cook up the Butternut Squash. The Butternut Squash bread came out delicious, maybe turn them into muffins or make into a creamy soup? Such decisions, let the inspiration flow!


Wednesday, October 13- Since I didn't get around to cooking the cassoulet up last week, I plan on cooking it tonight. I'm not crazy about breadcrumb toppings and will most likely skip that part of the recipe.


White Bean and Sausage Cassoulet Recipe

2 tsp oil

3 links (10 oz) Italian sausage

2 medium carrots, thinly sliced

2 stalks celery, sliced

1 large onion, chopped

2 tsp minced garlic

3 cans (15.5 oz each) Great Northern beans, rinsed

2 cans (14.5 oz each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes

1⁄2 cup water

1 tsp dried thyme leaves


Seasoned Crumb Topping

2 tsp oil

1 tsp minced garlic

2 cups coarse fresh bread crumbs from a baguette

2 Tbsp each grated Parmesan and chopped parsley


Recipe Preparation

1. Heat oven to 375ºF. You’ll need a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil.

2. Heat oil in a 5-qt pot over medium heat. Brown sausages on all sides until cooked through, about 6 minutes. Remove to plate.

3. In fat remaining in saucepan, sauté carrots, celery, onion and garlic until golden, about 5 minutes.

4. Cut sausages into 1⁄4-in.-thick slices. Add sausages, beans, tomatoes and their juices, water and thyme to saucepan. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes or until heated through and flavors are blended.

5. Topping: Toss oil and garlic with bread crumbs; spread on prepared baking sheet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, tossing once, until toasted. Cool slightly; stir in Parmesan and parsley. Serve Topping with cassoulet.



Thursday, October 14- With a busy schedule and one less family member at the table for dinner, tonight will be simple and easy. Perhaps mac n' cheese or soup and sandwiches.


Friday, October 15- With the fresh butternut squash, sweet potatoes and Irish potatoes from my box, I will make Roasted Lemony Veggies & Couscous, a recipe I found in Family Circle. I think I may add some garlic and shrimp to this dish.


Roasted Lemony Veggies & Couscous

1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped basil
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
2 large tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 small butternut squash (about 1 pound) peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 4 cups)
1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 pound red-skin potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 cup baby carrots, halved
1 cup couscous

Directions
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl, stir together lemon juice, basil, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, squash, potatoes and carrots. Sprinkle mixture with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Drizzle with prepared lemon dressing and stir well to combine.
3. Pour vegetable mixture into a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish and cover with foil. Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake another 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
4. When there is 10 minutes bake time remaining, prepare couscous according to package directions. Remove vegetable mixture from oven and carefully stir in couscous. Serve immediately.

Saturday, October 16- My girls will be camping with my husband this weekend. So I am either on my own for dinner or I will drive out to the campsite and have dinner al fresco with them.

Sunday, October 17- Using one of the apples from my box, I will be serving Apple-Stuffed Chicken with peas and rice for dinner tonight.

Monday, October 18- From Ikea, I will be preparing their Swedish Meatballs with sauce served over egg noodles. Yummy!

**Photographs reproduced for illustration purposes only from Family Circle and Woman's Day- no infringement of any copyrights intended**


No comments:

Post a Comment