Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

August 31- September 6

This week our Produce Box consisted of:
  • 2 Personal Watermelons
  • Garlic
  • Mix of Zucchini and Yellow Squash
  • Heirloom Tomatoes
  • Butternut Squash
  • Surprise Item- peppers
We also added a bag of peanuts to our order.

Wednesday, August 31- Using garlic and sliced peppers from my Box, I will be microwaving chicken breasts in my Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker.  I will also add some Italian seasoning to the chicken.  I will saute diced squash and zucchini (from my Box) in a little olive oil along with minced garlic and diced pepper (from my Box).  Slices of fresh watermelon (again from my Box) will round out this meal.

Thursday, September 1-  I was inspired by the Newsletter to make the Butternut Squash Enchiladas (they reminded me of my squash & zucchini burritos).  After a quick Google search for additional suggestions, I came up with this revised version of Butternut Squash Enchiladas.
Butternut Squash Enchiladas

Serves 8
  • 1 Tbs. olive oil
  • 1 butternut squash (11/2 lb.), halved and seeded
  • 1 medium onion, diced (1 cup)
  • 1 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, drained and diced, plus 2 teaspoons sauce (if this is too much heat, use chili powder to your liking)
  • 1/4 cup salsa (increase to 1/2 cup if you omit the chipotle chiles above)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp. )
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1 can of black beans rinsed and drained
  • 3 green onions, chopped (1/3 cup)
  • 1 16-oz. can enchilada sauce (salsa verde can be substituted)
  • 8 flour or corn tortillas
  • 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place squash cut-side down on baking sheet. Roast 45 minutes, or until soft. Cool until easy to handle. Scoop squash into bowl, and mash.
2. Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, and saute 5 to 7 minutes, or until soft. Add chipotle, adobo sauce, and garlic. Cook 1 minute, stirring often.
3. Stir in mashed squash, salsa, cumin, and nutmeg. Cook 3 minutes more, or until heated through. Remove from heat, and fold in green onions and beans.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread 1 cup enchilada sauce over bottom of 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Divide filling among tortillas, and roll loosely. Place filled, rolled tortillas in baking dish. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and Cheddar cheese. Bake 30 minutes, or until top begins to brown and sauce is bubbly.

Friday, September 2-    That fish has swum away from me again but tonight I caught it! ;)
Again last week I had planned to make fish and again it didn't happen.  But tonight is the night!  To be served along with couscous and green beans.
Easy Tilapia with Wine and Tomato  WW Points: 6
* 4 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia
* salt and pepper to taste
* olive oil
* 4 cloves garlic, pressed
* 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped (can substitute dried)
* 1-2 large tomato, chopped
* 1 cup white wine

1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Place the tilapia fillets side by side in a lightly sprayed baking dish. Season each one with salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil over the top of each piece of fish, and sprinkle garlic, basil and tomato. Pour the wine over everything.
3. Place in preheated oven, and cook for 15-25 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
 
Saturday, September 3-  We are attending a party tonight.  No cooking for me!
Sunday, September 4-  We are hosting friends for a Labor Day Backyard BBQ.  Hamburgers and hotdogs tonight.

Monday, September 5-  I see a garlic seasoned steak with grilled peppers and onions on the menu.  Of course that steak might be replaced with The Meat House marinated merlot steak tips if I can twist my husband's arm, (I don't think much twisting will be needed!).  A garden salad, grilled red garlic and sliced watermelon will complete this meal.
Garlic Grilled Rosemary Potatoes- my own original recipe
10 Red Potatoes
3-4 cloves minced Garlic
1/2-1 onion thinly sliced
Rosemary
Olive Oil
  • Boil potatoes until tender.  Rinse under cold water
  • Quarter potatoes and place in lightly sprayed heavy duty foil packet
  • Add sliced onions and Sprinkle with rosemary and the minced garlic
  • Drizzle with olive oil
  • Seal packet and place on preheated grill
  • Grill for about 10 minutes on each side
Tuesday, September 6-  I am leaning towards an Italian sausage inspired meal just not quite sure exactly what it will be yet.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment