Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Fruit Box and extras

This week we opted for the Fruit Box.  We also added a pint of shelled Field Peas and a jar of Blueberry Salsa.  The Fruit Box contained:

  • a personal Watermelon
  • 2 Sprite Melons
  • 2 quarts of Peaches
  • 2 quarts of Suppernog Grapes
  • Asian Pears
  • the bag are our Peas
We opted for the fruit box due to our crazy schedule and need for quick easy meals.  Of course I do have the peas from The Produce Box and that will be one of our meals this week.

Wednesday, August 24-  With a sick child and no husband home for dinner, I am taking the easy way with chicken nuggets for the kids and left overs for Mom.  The fruit from todays box will be a nice side.

Thursday, August 25-  It's the girls and I tonight so I will keep it simple again with tortillini, garlic bread and sliced watermelon.

Friday, August 26- Half the family will be at a Durham Bulls game, the other half is going out for dinner tonight!

Saturday, August 27-  Tonight I will make the Dixie Lee Peas and Rice recipe I made earlier this season but this time serve sliced sausage (maybe even andouille) over the rice mixture (making it a full meal rather than a side).
Dixie Lee Peas and Rice
  • 3 or 4 strips lean bacon, diced
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • 2 cups fresh Dixie Lee peas
  • 1/2 cup uncooked, white, long-grain rice
  • 2 cups water (or half chicken broth and half water)
  • Salt and black pepper, to taste
In a deep pot, saute bacon 2 or 3 minutes. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic. Continue cooking until vegetables soften slightly and bacon is crisp. Stir peas into the pot; pour in water. Reduce heat to low. Add rice.  Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until the rice is done. Remove from heat and let the pan sit with the lid on 5 minutes.  Toss mixture lightly.  Season with salt and pepper. 
Sunday, August 28-  I never made the fish from last week so I will give it another shot tonight.  I made this recipe on the grill before in foil packets and felt it was "too fishy" for my palette.  So I have altered the recipe and will bake it tonight.  I'll serve the fish with couscous and green beans (perhaps fresh green beans if I can find them at the farmer's market).
Easy Tilapia with Wine and Tomato  WW Points: 6
* 4 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia
* salt and pepper to taste
* olive oil
* 4 cloves garlic, pressed
* 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped (can substitute dried)
* 1-2 large tomato, chopped
* 1 cup white wine

1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Place the tilapia fillets side by side in a lightly sprayed baking dish. Season each one with salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil over the top of each piece of fish, and sprinkle garlic, basil and tomato. Pour the wine over everything.
3. Place in preheated oven, and cook for 15-25 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
 
Monday, August 29-  Soccer tonight which means kids eat first and later we'll eat.  I'll make a macaroni salad, which at least one of my girls loves.  I'll grill some chicken for both the girls and later for us.  Not sure what I will do to the chicken to kick it up a notch just yet.  Maybe I'll incorporate the Blueberry Salsa?!
Tuesday, August 30-  Tonight is golf which means again eating in shifts.  Quesidillas for the girls and cheeseburgers for us are good bets for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment