Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

August 3- August 9 Latin and Asian Influences

This week our Produce Box includes:
  • 4 ears of Corn
  • 2 English Cucumbers
  • Peaches
  • Zucchini and Yellow Squash Mix
  • Pepper Variety
  • Personal Watermelon
The watermelon and peaches are great for snacks and sides for dinner!

Wednesday, August 3-  After delivering as a sub driver for the Produce Box as well as having company arriving, I plan on making it easy and simple.  Hamburgers with corn on the cob and sliced watermelon.

Thursday, August 4Sausage and Peppers served with warmed bread and a bottle of wine.  I will make a small side of pasta as well.  My company is bringing Italian sausage from the Northeast (the best in my opinion) and I will add some of the peppers from my box to them.  I will also be using the tomato sauce I made from my Box's tomatoes and froze a few weeks ago.

Friday, August 5-  Part of my company is going out, I am thinking the rest of us will dine out for dinner tonight too!  Maybe Tribeca Tavern or Red Robin....

Saturday, August 6-  Per special request I am making my delicious Chicken Enchiladas.  They are easy to make and even easier to double the batch for my house guests.  I'll also make a black bean salad using some of my box's corn.  I have made the salad before and enjoyed it!

Chicken Enchiladas  (I will be doubling the recipe tonight) approx. 7 WW Pts.
1 lb chicken
4oz can of chopped green chile peppers (I'll be using my hot green chiles from last week's Box)
1 small onion
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1 tsp chili powder
Small Can of Enchilada Sauce
1 package of large sized soft flour tortillas
1 package Mexican cheese (or cheddar)

1. Heat large skillet on med/high heat. Add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to coat pan
3. Cook chicken through about 8-10 minutes.
4. While chicken is cooking chop onion
5. Remove chicken to cutting board, add chopped onion to skillet and chili powder
6. While onion is cooking, dice up chicken
7. In a small bowl combine the can of cream of chicken soup, 1/2 cup of sour cream & 2 tablespoons of enchilada sauce. Mix and set aside.
8. Once onion is tender add chicken, green chilies, about 1/4 cup of sour cream mixture & enchilada sauce (add enough to add moisture to skillet about 1-3 tablespoons) Stir and Heat through.
9. In a 9 x 13 baking dish lightly cover bottom of pan with the sour cream mixture.
10. Add chicken mixture to tortillas and roll up, place seam side down in baking dish. (tortillas can be touching each other in dish)
11. Cover tortillas with remaining sour cream mixture and sprinkle with cheese
12. Bake in a 350 degree oven covered for 20-25 minutes then uncover and bake additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.

**Meal can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated. When ready to bake add 15 minutes to bake time or until heated through.

Sunday, August 7-I will use my remaining peppers in tonight's meal of either  Pork Fried Rice or Taste of Thai Peanut Noodle Recipe.  I am not sure which I will make tonight.

Taste of Thai Peanut Noodle Toss Recipe
1/2 Box (8 oz) Rice Noodles
1 TBSP oil
3 cups favorite vegetables chopped
1 tsp Salt
1 13.5 oz can of Coconut Sauce
1 packet (both inner envelopes) Peanut Sauce Mix
1 1/4 lbs chicken or beef thinly sliced

Soak noodles according to stir fry directions. Heat oil in wok over medium high heat. Add vegetables, salt and meat. Saute 3 minutes. Add coconut milk and peanut sauce. Mix. Bring to boil while stirring and boil 3 minutes. Add drained noodles and combine. Cook while stirring until noodles are firm but tender. Add peanuts for garnish.

Pork Fried Rice
  • vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
  • half an onion finely chopped (I used a red onion but any variety or even scallions can be substituted)
  • 2 pork chops cubed
  • 2 cups of diced vegetable medley (I used my peppers as part of the medley)
  • 3 cups of cooked cold rice
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  1. Heat  a tablespoon of oil in a pan.  Add eggs and stir (like making scrambled eggs) remove from heat when just set.
  2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in wok.  Add garlic and onion.  Saute for 5 minutes then add pork. 
  3. When pork is cooked through add vegetable mix.  Cook for about 5 minutes.
  4. Add rice and soy sauce.  Separate rice and incorporate the soy sauce into mixture.
  5. Once rice is heated through add eggs.  Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.  If mixture is dry add some more soy sauce.
Monday, August 8- This has become one of my favorite new dishes, Squash and Zucchini Burritos. I discovered this dish through a friend. There after, I added my twist and viola! A sumptuous summer dish.  This will use the squash and zucchini from my Box.

Tuesday, August 9-  I am not sure what tonight's meal will be yet.  Maybe leftovers?  It will be quick and easy since it is golf lesson night.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Lots of stuff to read. Will take me a while, but also help me using up my Produce Box supplies. Thinking about Ratatouille at the moment.

    ReplyDelete