Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

July 27- August 2 Not a whole lot of cooking going on!

This week my Produce Box consisted of:
  • 1 Qt. Peaches
  • Green Beans
  • 1 Personal Watermelon
  • 6 Ears of Corn
  • 1 oz. Fresh Basil
  • Hot Pepper Variety
  • Butternut Squash 
I never made the Peach cobbler last week.  So this week I will use my peaches to make that recipe.  
Delicious Peach Cobbler
4 cups of peeled, sliced peaches
2 cups sugar divided
1/2 cup water
8 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups self rising flour (if you don't have any you can easily make some- I did using a google search: 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour mixed with 3/4 teaspoon each baking powder and salt)
1 1/2 cups milk
ground cinnamon, optional

-Preheat oven to 350
-Combine peaches, 1 cup of sugar & water in saucepan and mix well. Bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
-Put butter in a 3-qt. baking dish and place in oven to melt.
-Mix remaining 1 cup sugar, flour and milk slowly to prevent clumping. Pour mixture over melted butter. Do not stir. Spoon fruit on top, gently pouring in syrup. Sprinkle top with ground cinnamon, if desired.
-Bake for approx. 1 hour
Can be served with whipped topping and/or ice cream. Refrigerate left overs.

I will roast and then puree the Butternut Squash and use it in place of the pumpkin puree in my Pumpkin Bread Recipe.  I will post this recipe separately.

Wednesday, July 27-  Between running to 2 Open Houses and it's my Birthday, I am not cooking dinner tonight.  Not sure what will be for dinner but I know for sure I won't be making it!

Thursday, July 28-  I will use some of the corn and green beans for a side salad, Orzo Salad with Corn, Green Beans and Tomatoes (recipe from myrecipes.com).  I will freeze the remaining corn to have at a later time.  I think my girls have had their fill of corn these past few weeks.  I will also make Apricot Glazed Grilled Pork Chops (whisk 2 tablespoons cider vinegar with 1/4-1/2 cup of apricot preserves, brush glaze on meat during last 5 minutes of grilling).  The meal will be rounded out with slices of watermelon.

Orzo Salad with Corn, Green Beans and Tomatoes (I will halving this recipe)

  • 1 pound green beans
  • 1 1/2 cups dried orzo pasta (8 oz.)
  • 3 ears fresh corn (10 to 14 oz. each; see notes)
  • 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup minced shallots
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 cups cherry tomatoes (12 oz.), rinsed, stemmed, and cut in half

1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring about 2 quarts water to a boil. Meanwhile, rinse green beans, trim off ends, and pull off any strings. Cut into 2- to 3-inch lengths. Add beans to boiling water and cook until barely tender to bite, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and immerse in ice water until cold; drain well.
2. Fill same pan with 2 1/2 to 3 quarts water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add orzo and cook until barely tender to bite, 8 to 11 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain well.
3. Meanwhile, husk corn, discarding silk; rinse ears. Holding each ear upright in a large, deep bowl, cut off kernels close to the cob.
4. To make dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, shallots, mustard, tarragon, and salt and pepper to taste.
5. In a large, wide bowl, mix orzo with 1/2 cup of the dressing. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Spread level. Layer corn kernels, green beans, and tomatoes over pasta. Pour remaining dressing into a container. Cover and chill both salad and dressing until ready to serve.
6. Shortly before serving, pour three-fourths of the remaining dressing over salad and mix gently to blend. Add more dressing and salt and pepper to taste. 

Nutritional Information

  • Calories: 296
  • Calories from fat: 46%
  • Protein: 6.4g
  • Fat: 15g
  • Saturated fat: 2.1g
  • Carbohydrate: 36g
  • Fiber: 3.2g
  • Sodium: 106mg
  • Cholesterol: 0.0mg
Friday, July 29-  We will be attending my husband's family work event at the Durham Bulls Park.  Hotdogs, popcorn and a glass a beer are in my future tonight!
Saturday, July 30- My husband and I are going on a date night!  Again no cooking, glad those green beans will hold for a awhile!

Sunday, July 31-  Despite the fact that my husband and older daughter will be playing in a golf tournament tonight, I plan on making dinner for my little one and myself. It will simple like spaghetti and meatballs.


Monday, August 1-  I will use the remaining green beans for a garlic saute garnished with chopped tomatoes and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. (Heat olive oil, add 2-3 cloves minced garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.  After washing, trimming and cutting the beans saute them in olive oil for 5-8 minutes.  You can add chopped tomatoes and saute for another 3 minutes or remove from heat and add tomatoes.  Sprinkle with cheese and serve.)  The green beans will be served with a grilled garlic seasoned steak and a loaf of warmed bread.
Tuesday, August 2- It's Mexican tonight!  I will use some of the peppers in a Mexican inspired dish and the remaining peppers will be frozen for later use in salsas and other meals.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment