Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

July 6- July 12

This week our Produce Box contains:

  • Blueberries (1 pint)
  • Blackberries (1 pint)
  • Cantaloupe
  • Zucchini (approx 3lbs)
  • Sweet Banana Peppers
  • Pickling Cucumbers
  • Eggplant
  • Cherry Tomatoes (2 pints)  
I will definitely be making a batch of Blueberry Zucchini Bread.  I have used this recipe in the past with a few alterations, 2 cups of sugar and 3/4 cup of oil baked in 2 loaf pans for 1 hour and 10 minutes.   I will also be using the blueberries and blackberries in smoothies.  My husband is looking forward to pickling the cucumbers.  I may use some of the zucchini to make "Apple" Pie if I can track down my Grandmother's recipe.  The cantaloupe makes for great snacks and sides for lunch!

Wednesday, July 6- Not sure what I am doing for dinner.  It will most likely be just me and my girls.  Maybe breakfast for dinner.  I did have the yummiest lunch of Produce Box onions, zucchini, eggplant and tomatoes sauteed with a little olive oil and seasoned with Tastefully Simple's Garlic Garlic!

Thursday, July 7-  I found tonight's meal on Allrecipes.com I thought this was a great new way to use up all my cherry tomatoes from my Produce Box.
picture from allrecipes.com
Gnocchi with Cherry Tomato Sauce
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large red onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 minced red chile pepper
  • 2 pints cherry tomatoes, quartered
  • 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 2/3 cup kalamata olives, sliced
  • 1 (16 ounce) package fresh gnocchi
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion, garlic, and chile pepper; cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, and stir in the cherry tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes have lost their form and are beginning to make a sauce, about 5 minutes. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes.
  2. While the sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the fresh gnocchi, and cook until the gnocchi float to the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Gently strain out the gnocchi and place into a serving dish.
  3. Stir the basil and olives into the simmering sauce, and cook for one minute. Pour the sauce over the drained gnocchi and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese to serve.
Amount Per Serving  Calories: 273 | Total Fat: 12.2g | Cholesterol: 21mg Sodium: 222mg Total Carbs: 38.1g Dietary Fiber: 5.4g Protein: 6.5g

Friday, July 8-  I will try using this stuffed pepper recipe for my banana peppers.
Stuffed Banana Peppers
  • 8 banana peppers
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped celery
  • 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 pound Italian sausage
  • 3/4 cups bread crumbs
  1. Cut off tops of peppers, and remove ribs and seeds. Chop edible portions of tops; set aside. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add peppers, reduce heat, and simmer until tender but still firm, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
  2. Heat butter in a medium skillet. Saute reserved chopped pepper, onion and celery until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and garlic. Season with basil, oregano, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  3. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine egg, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, Worcestershire sauce and Parmesan. Mix in sausage, bread crumbs and 1 cup of the tomato sauce mixture.
  4. Using a piping bag or sausage stuffer, fill each pepper with the meat mixture. Place in a 3 quart casserole dish, and pour remaining tomato sauce mixture over peppers.
  5. Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 1 hour. (optional- last 15 minutes sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese)
Saturday, July 9-  We haven't had fish in a while.  I may make the Italian Style Fish I have done on the past.  But if tuna is on sale I'd love to grill up tuna steaks.

Sunday, July 10-  I will grill up a steak seasoned with Tasetfully Simple's grilling seasoning.  I'll drop by the Western Wake Farmer's Market or DJs Berry Patch and pick up some corn on the cob and watermelon.  This will make up tonight's meal.

Monday, July 11-  I never made the All American Chili last week.  With the first day back at school today, I think a crock pot meal might be the best answer.  So I  will make last week's scheduled chili meal and perhaps serve it over warm noodles.  My girls aren't big chili eaters but they love their pasta!

 All American Chili
  • 1 1/2  pounds  lean ground beef
  • 2  onions, chopped
  • 1  yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2  garlic cloves, minced
  • 2  cans  (15.5 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1  can  (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1  can  (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
  • 1  cup  low-sodium chicken broth
  • 3  tablespoons  chili powder
  • 1  teaspoon  ground cumin
  • 1  teaspoon  dried oregano
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 1  box  (8.5 ounces) corn bread mix, prepared according to package directions (optional)
1.Combine beef, onions, pepper, garlic, beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, 2 tablespoons of the chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon each of the cumin and the oregano in slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
2.Remove cover and stir in remaining 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon each cumin and oregano, and salt. Serve with corn bread, if desired.

Tuesday, July 12-  This is the night we eat in shifts.  The kids will eat first, something simple like mac n' cheese.  As for the gorwn ups later, it will be simple and quick.  I have a free burger at Red Robin, maybe I'll ask my husband to bring take out home from there.

1 comment:

  1. The cherry tomato sauce was very good. I added a splash of red wine along with oregano and salt to the sauce. A great way to use up cherry tomatoes and make a delicious sauce!
    I have the peppers in the oven now. I am looking forward to tasting them shortly!

    ReplyDelete