Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

August 10- August 16

I am late in posting last weeks Box contents largely due to the fact that my family went out of town.  But despite traveling I still received a Produce Box.  Sometimes it is difficult to cook home made meals with busy schedules and the everyday demands of life and family.  The next best thing is to freeze fresh veggies for future use when you do have the time to cook!

That is what I did with many of the items in my Box this past week.  My Produce Box consisted of:
  • 3 Large Mountain vine ripe tomatoes
  • 4 ears of SWEET corn 
  • a Quart of Red Potatoes
  • Peaches (double share)
  • Eggplant variety
  • Mixed bell peppers
I blanched my corn and after cooling cut the kernels from the cob.  I placed the corn in a ziplock bag and froze for later use.  I used 2 of my lavender peppers in my Squash Burrito recipe but sliced and froze the remaining peppers to use at a later time.  The peaches were eaten as snacks and sides to lunches and breakfasts.  I removed the skins of the 3 tomatoes, seeded and diced the tomatoes.  I then sauteed them with olive oil, garlic and Italian seasonings.  I then froze the mixture to use again at a later time.  Since the potatoes will keep, I will use them next week in a meal.  The eggplant I also blanched for 4 minutes and froze for later use.

2 comments:

  1. Did you see the ratatouille recipe that lady linked to on the facebook page? I made that last week using up a lot of the eggplant we are getting so much of. I even threw in some leftover corn. In any case, those Squash Burritos might show up on my to do list as soon as I have 2 or more squash or zucchinis in my fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll love the squash burritos! Did the ratatouille come out well? Thanks for following my blog :)

    ReplyDelete