Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

August 4-August 10 Menu

My box arrived today!
This weeks box includes: 2 Eggplants, 2 large Field Tomatoes, 1/2 lb. of Garlic Bulbs, a personal Watermelon, Red Cabbage, Spaghetti Squash and 4 ears of Corn.

I also took a big leap and ordered 20 lbs. of Roma Tomatoes in anticipation of making homemade Tomato Sauce to freeze. Although a big undertaking, I am looking forward to having homemade sauce the next time I make an Italian meal rather than grabbing a store bought jar. I have adapted the Tomato Sauce to my family's preferences: shredded carrot, omit celery, replace spices with 2 tsp each Oregano, Basil & Rosemary, and after 2 hours of simmering I add 2 tsp pepper & 1 tsp of salt.

Wednesday
- Today is breakfast for dinner. It's just me and the girls plus I making my vat of Tomato Sauce. I have found that the sauce could actually be doubled on the tomato and the rest of the ratios do not have to be adjusted since it is a very flavorful and hearty sauce. I cooked up about 40 tomatoes, about 3/4 of my box. I might make more sauce early next week or better yet maybe some more fresh salsa!

Thursday- I will be entertaining family this weekend. My brother and sister-in-law love Eggplant Parmesan. Therefore, I will be making my Eggplant Parmesan with the 2 eggplants and homemade Tomato Sauce (which I cooked up with last weeks Roma tomatoes and froze). A fresh garden salad, with my home grown cucumbers and tomato from my Produce Box, and a loaf of bread (maybe from Great Harvest Bread Company) will round out dinner nicely. Of course a good bottle or 2 of a Cabernet would put the meal over the top!

Friday- My mother and I will treat ourselves to take out while the rest of my visiting guests enjoy the Beer, Bourbon and BBQ festival.

Saturday-
I am cooking for quite a crowd tonight. More family is arriving and we will dine on Grilled Apricot-Glazed Pork Chops, German Red Cabbage and Garlic Grilled Rosemary Potatoes (I purchased the potatoes at DJ's Berry Patch and of course used the fresh garlic from my Produce Box).
Garlic Grilled Rosemary Potatoes- my own original recipe
10 Red Potatoes
3-4 cloves minced Garlic
1/2-1 onion thinly sliced
Rosemary
Olive Oil

Boil potatoes until tender
Rinse under cold water
Quarter potatoes and place in lightly sprayed heavy duty foil packet
Add sliced onions
Sprinkle with Rosemary and the minced garlic
Drizzle with olive oil
Seal packet and place on preheated grill
Grill for about 10 minutes on each side

I got this awesome
German Red Cabbage recipe from a neighbor.
Yield: 12 servings
1 medium sized head red cabbage, cored and sliced thin
1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled cored and grated

1 cup unsweetened apple pure juice (not concentrate)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup red wine vinegar

kosher or sea salt & pepper
¼ tsp. ground cloves
¼ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. allspice
olive oil
Cut red cabbage into quarters and cut out the core and slice thin
Peel onion, cut in half and slice thin

Grate apple

In a dutch oven, add about 1 generous turn of the pan of oil and heat.
Cook onions 2–3 minutes and add the red cabbage; braise the cabbage until just tender 3–5 minutes.
Season with kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste

Add ground cloves, allspice and nutmeg.
Add caraway seed, if desired.

Add the brown sugar, apples, apple juice and vinegar.

Cover and simmer until the cabbage is cooked and tender—do not boil or overcook.
Cooking time is about 30 minutes.
Serve with a slotted spoon.

Sunday-
Depending on when my company leaves will be the determining factor as to dinner Sunday night. It will be an earlier dinner, so I am thinking of something on the simpler side. Grilled steaks with the left over cabbage and fresh corn on the cob might be the best option.

Monday-
I plan on making Spaghetti Squash Lasagna. After cooking the squash, I'll probably do it again in the microwave, scoop out the squash. In a separate bowl mix together ricotta cheese, Italian seasonings and sauce (of course from my vat I made Wednesday). In a baking dish coat the bottom with some tomato sauce, then layer with squash, cheese mixture, either pan fried loose sausage or chop meat and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers ending with squash. Finally spread sauce over top and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake until warmed through and cheese is melted (about 30-45 minutes). I'll serve this with a loaf of bread.

Tuesday- By this point I am assuming there will be a decent amount of leftovers. Then again with a house full of guests over the weekend it could all be gone now. If we have leftovers then I have dinner. If not I'll have to throw something together.

No comments:

Post a Comment