Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Menu for August 18- August 24

This week's Produce Box included 2 lbs. of Roma Tomatoes, 2 Bell Peppers, a Banana Pepper, 5 Peaches, 1 lb. of Red Potatoes, 2 Butternut Squashes, 1 lb. of Grape Tomatoes and a Sprite Melon.

Wednesday- Tonight is a busy night with our family eating in "shifts" due to our crazy schedule. Therefore, the kids will be having some chicken nuggets with peaches and grape tomatoes and my husband and I will have chicken salad sandwiches tonight. I'll add some cut up grape tomatoes to our chicken salad.

Thursday- We will be having Mexican tonight. I'll make cheese quesadillas with a side of fresh tomatoes, from our Produce Box, for my girls while the grownups feast of Beef Tacos. I'll saute the some bell pepper from our Box in olive oil. If I find the time I'll whip up my husband's awesome salsa using the roma tomatoes and peppers from my box.

Friday- From last week's menu, I plan on making the Grilled Shrimp Skewers. The recipe actually calls for apple but we have always omitted it. The spicy yet sweet flavors of the marinade are to die for! This has quickly become one our favorite ways to prepare grilled shrimp. I will serve it with perhaps some cheese and broccoli couscous and corn on the cob bought at DJ's Berry Patch. (Picture reproduced from allrecipes.com)

Saturday- Tonight I am thinking of trying something different with my butternut squash. Our Produce Box newsletter had a recipe for Glazed Butternut Squash. I'm intrigued, we'll see. I'll serve it along with grilled chicken and oven rolls. (I'll post the recipe later on.)

Sunday- Tonight we will be having Grilled Rosemary Pork Chops accompanied with Southern Green Beans and Rosemary Red Potatoes.

Southern Green Beans
4 slices bacon
1 large onion sliced
4 cans green beans
salt and black pepper

Fry bacon, remove bacon before it becomes crispy.
In bacon fat fry onion until tender.
Pour 4 cans of green beans into pot. If more water is needed add until green beans are covered.
Season with salt and pepper.
Add bacon.
Bring to boil then let Simmer for about 30-45 minutes. (add water as necessary)

Monday- This has become one of my favorite new dishes, Squash and Zucchini Burritos. I discovered this dish through a friend. Thereafter, I added my twist and viola! A sumptuous summer dish! Of course I'll only be making this dish if DJ's Berry Patch has the squashes.

Tuesday- There is good chance tonight will be leftovers to make room for our next Produce Box delivery!

No comments:

Post a Comment