Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

April 20- April 25 Produce Box Menu

We have successfully eaten our way through last week's box!  Salads were excellent with the romaine, tomatoes and cucumbers.  We couldn't get enough of the strawberries, even with a second box added to our order! What a great way to start off a new Produce Box season.

This week's Produce Box includes:
  • Orange Sweet Potatoes
  • Greenhouse Tomatoes
  • Greenhouse Cucumbers
  • Strawberries
  • Baby Spinach
  • Garlic Scallions
  • 1 head of Romaine Lettuce
I hope to threw together Tzatiki (following an Alton Brown recipe) with some of my cucumbers this week.
    Wednesday, April 20- My parents always enjoy my Chicken Enchiladas. I am also bringing dinner to a a family who recently had a baby.  So I will be making my enchiladas along with a fresh salad made from my Produce Box.

    Chicken Enchiladas  (I will be doubling the recipe tonight) approx. 7 WW Pts.
    1 lb chicken
    4oz can of chopped green chile peppers
    1 small onion
    1 can of cream of chicken soup
    1/2 cup Sour Cream
    1 tsp chili powder
    Small Can of Enchilada Sauce
    1 package of large sized soft flour tortillas
    1 package Mexican cheese (or cheddar)

    1. Heat large skillet on med/high heat. Add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to coat pan
    3. Cook chicken through about 8-10 minutes.
    4. While chicken is cooking chop onion
    5. Remove chicken to cutting board, add chopped onion to skillet and chili powder
    6. While onion is cooking, dice up chicken
    7. In a small bowl combine the can of cream of chicken soup, 1/2 cup of sour cream & 2 tablespoons of enchilada sauce. Mix and set aside.
    8. Once onion is tender add chicken, green chilies, about 1/4 cup of sour cream mixture & enchilada sauce (add enough to add moisture to skillet about 1-3 tablespoons) Stir and Heat through.
    9. In a 9 x 13 baking dish lightly cover bottom of pan with the sour cream mixture.
    10. Add chicken mixture to tortillas and roll up, place seam side down in baking dish. (tortillas can be touching each other in dish)
    11. Cover tortillas with remaining sour cream mixture and sprinkle with cheese
    12. Bake in a 350 degree oven covered for 20-25 minutes then uncover and bake additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.

    **Meal can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated. When ready to bake add 15 minutes to bake time or until heated through.

    Thursday, April 21-  Since my company will be leaving Saturday, we decided to make an Easter ham early (I'll post my ham recipe later in the week).  Accompanying the ham will be my delicious Sweet Potato Casserole, made of course with my sweet potatoes from our Box.

    Sweet Potato Casserole 7 WW Points  
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    2/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup chopped pecans
    1/4 cup margarine, melted
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and halved
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 large egg white
    1 (5 oz) can evaporated milk

    1. Preheat oven 350 degrees
    2. Combine first 5 ingredients in small bowl, stirring to form streusel. Set aside
    3. Place potatoes in pot covered with water. Bring to boil, cover and simmer 30 min or until tender. Drain. Mash in large bowl.
    4. Stir in 1 cup of streusel topping, sugar, vanilla, egg white and milk.
    5. Spoon into 2-qt. casserole coated with cooking spray. Top with remaining streusel.
    6. Bake for 45 min.
    Serving: 3/4 cup
    Calories: 376  Fat: 8.8g  Saturated fat: 1.4g  Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g  Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g  Protein: 5.4g  Carbohydrate: 70.1g  Fiber: 3.8g  Cholesterol: 1mg  Iron: 1.9mg  Sodium: 115mg  Calcium: 97mg 

    Friday, April 22-  A trip to the Meat House of Cary was postponed until today.  The steaks will be accompanied with a salad made with the romaine, spinach, tomatoes and cucumbers.

    Saturday, April 23-  I would love to have tuna steaks if they aren't too expensive at the grocery store.  I'll have to wait and see about tonight's menu.

    Sunday, April 24- Easter Sunday  Since we had our Easter ham while my company was in town, I think we might roast a whole chicken served with asparagus.

    Monday, April 25- I am not sure what I will be making tonight.  I'm thinking Greek inspired along with my Tzatiki sauce.

    Tuesday, April 26- Tonight is leftovers!!  I need to make room in my refrigerator for my Produce Box!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment