Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wednesday, April 27- Tuesday, May 3rd

This week's Produce Box includes:
  • 2 lettuces
  • 2 quarts of Strawberries
  • English Cucumbers
  • Greenhouse Tomatoes
  • Sweet Potatoes
I also ordered an add-on of asparagus.

Wednesday, April 27th-  I made this last summer, although this wasn't one of my husband's favorite recipes, I enjoyed using my cucumbers in an innovative way.  (Found on allrecipes.com)  I'll serve it over pasta along with fresh bread.  ***UPDATE- After spending the day delivering for the Produce Box, I am wiped out!  It's take-out and fresh strawberries for dessert tonight!**
Cucumber Tomato Sauce 2 WW Pts.
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 teaspoons dried basil
* 1 cup chopped roma (plum) tomatoes
* 1 teaspoon onion powder
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 4 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
* 2 cups diced cucumber

1. Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in garlic, and cook for a few minutes until fragrant, then stir in the dried basil, and cook for a few seconds more. Add the tomatoes, onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, black pepper, sugar, and salt. Bring to a simmer, then stir in the red pepper and cucumber. Continue simmering and stirring occasionally until the mixture has reduced to a sauce like consistency, 10 to 15 minutes.

Nutritional Information:    Calories: 114 | Total Fat: 9.3g | Cholesterol: 0mg  * Sodium: 102mg  * Total Carbs: 8g  * Dietary Fiber: 1.3g  * Protein: 1g

Thursday, April 28th-  I was going to make a Southwest Chicken Salad but instead of leftovers Tuesday I actually made that meal.  So I found on allrecipes.com tonight's meal, Orzo and Shrimp Salad with Asparagus.  I have adjusted the original rcipe my changes are reflected below.

Orzo and Shrimp Salad with Asparagus 7 WW Pts.
  • 12 extra-large shrimp
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 quarts water
  • 8 ounces orzo pasta
  • 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
  • Old Bay Seasoning
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar (regular will work too but darken the color of mixture)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons honey mustard
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Peel shrimp. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the garlic and shrimp in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, stirring frequently to keep the garlic from browning. When shrimp are cooked through, remove from heat, cool and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
  2. Bring water to a boil over high heat. Season water with Old Bay. Stir in the orzo and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the asparagus pieces and continue cooking until the pasta is al dente, about 4 minutes. Drain into a mesh sieve, and rinse in cold water immediately (this will keep the asparagus from cooking and keep vibrant green color).
  3. Toss pasta and asparagus with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, shrimp, and green onions until evenly coated. In a separate bowl, whisk the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, and basil until incorporated. Pour over pasta mixture and toss well; season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill for 2 hours.
Friday, April 29th- I found this on allrecipes.com.  I'll the meal along with a fresh green salad made from my Box contents.

Easy Slow Cooker Pork Chops  12 WW Pts.
  • 4 (1 inch thick) pork chops
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 cup sliced onions
  • 1/4 cup chicken stock
  • 1 (20 ounce) can apple pie filling
  • 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks

Directions

  1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season pork chops with salt and pepper, and then brown them in the hot skillet. Remove from heat.
  2. Spray the inside surface of a slow cooker with cooking spray. Arrange sliced onions in the bottom, and place pork chops on top of onions. Pour chicken stock over chops, and top with apple pie filling. Cook on Low for 5 to 6 hours, adding sweet potatoes during the last 3 hours of cooking.
Nutritional Information     Servings Per Recipe: 4

  • Calories: 567
  • Total Fat: 11.9g
  • Cholesterol: 59mg
  • Sodium: 1299mg
  • Total Carbs: 88.1g
  • Dietary Fiber: 9g
  • Protein: 28.3g
Saturday, April 30th- Tonight is our neighborhood block party!  Pulled pork, hush puppies and potluck sides and desserts! 

Sunday, May 1-  I will halve tonight's recipe to serve with our steak fajitas.  This is also a recipe I made last year to use up my cucumbers from both my Box and my garden.  If I still have cucumbers from my Box I will make Cool Cucumber Salsa; however, if I use them all up I'll still make the fajitas without this great salsa leaving it for another week when my box runneth over with cukes!

Cool Cucumber Salsa (from allrecipes.com) recipe reflects adjustments to reduce servings yield)

  • 1 medium cucumbers - peeled, seeded, and chopped
  • 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
  • 1/2 small onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
  • 1 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 (6 ounce) package tortilla chips

Directions

  1. In a medium bowl, stir together the cucumbers, tomatoes, green pepper, jalapeno pepper, onion, garlic, lime juice, parsley, cilantro, dill, and salt. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Serve with tortilla chips.

Nutritional Information
  • Calories: 151
  • Total Fat: 6.6g
  • Cholesterol: 0mg
  • Sodium: 217mg
  • Total Carbs: 21.6g
  • Dietary Fiber: 2.2g
  • Protein: 2.8g
Monday, May 2nd- I am altering a recipe I found on Allrecipes.com with some of my own additions.  I made this amazing salad last Produce Box season and enjoyed it very much.
Southwest Chicken Salad
1 small can corn, drained
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar and Monterey cheese blend
3 tomatoes, chopped
Chopped romaine lettuce
Catalina salad dressing
Southwest Style Chicken
Corn chips

In a large bowl, combine the corn, black beans, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. Add dressing and mix well. Cut up chicken and placed over salad. Add corn chips before serving.

I may buy prepared Southwest Style Chicken or if I have the time prepare my own.

Tuesday, May 3rd-  Maybe I'll make the cucumber tomato sauce I had planned last Tuesday.  Hmmm, I'll need to think about tonight's meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment