Welcome

This is my first blog which was inspired by joining The Produce Box, a local community supported agriculture group. With a weekly delivery of fresh produce, I have been challenged to create healthy nightly meals using ingredients I may not have purchased on my own.

Below is a compilation of weekly meals using the produce delivered by The Produce Box as well as some other recipes which have inspired me.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

New Season of the Produce Box April 13-19

Hooray!!  It's the start of the Produce Box season!!  This is the first box the new season and I am just as excited as I was last season with the arrival of my box.
This week's box includes Greenhouse Cucumbers, Greenhouse Tomatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Baby Romaine lettuce, Kale and Strawberries.
New to my blog I will be calculating the Weight Watchers Points for each recipe (based on their old points system).
Wednesday, April 13- Since I am not sure exactly when my Produce Box will arrive, I will not make tonight's dinner based on the Box's contents. However, I did manage to acquire another share of strawberries for my Box and will be feasting on Strawberry Shortcake for dessert tonight!  Since it just me and my girls for dinner tonight I am thinking tortellini and a salad for tonight.

Thursday, April 14-  I found this recipe at allrecipes.com and added the recommendations from reviewers.  I also halved the recipe since the original made 10 servings!  I will be using the kale and tomatoes from my Produce Box.  This recipe without the addition of tomatoes and beans yields 4 WW Pts.  for 1 cup.
Orzo with Kale

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1 cups uncooked orzo pasta
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
  • 1 cup Chicken Broth or White Wine
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped
  • 1 15oz can of white beans drained and rinsed
  • 1 diced tomato or cherry/grape tomatoes halved
  • 1 large lemon, juiced
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, or to taste
  • salt and black pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Bring a large pot of lightly-salted water to a boil; sprinkle the turmeric over the boiling water and stir in the orzo; return to a boil. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 11 minutes; drain. Scrape into a mixing bowl and set aside.
  2. While orzo is cooking, Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the garlic and red pepper in the hot oil. Add red pepper flakes and broth or wine.  Stir the kale into the broth, cover the skillet with a lid, and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the cover and  add the beans.  Continue cooking and stirring until the kale is tender, about 10 minutes more (add more liquid if necessary). Stir the kale mixture into the orzo along with the lemon juice, nutmeg, Parmesan cheese and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature. 

Nutritional Information
Calories: 206  Total Fat: 4.2g  Cholesterol: 2mg  Sodium: 91mg  Total Carbs: 36.1g Dietary Fiber: 2.8g  Protein: 7.9g

Friday, April 15- From my sister-in-law I may use her recipe for Cod Cakes. Or Gilled Tuna Steaks or maybe my neighbor's Fish Taco recipe.  There is a fish theme here, I just have to wait and see what fish is on sale at the supermarket before making my selection.  I'll update with the chosen recipe once I go shopping.


Saturday, April 16- Tonight we'll grill.  After soccer games, golf and landscaping work, I'm sure we'll be hungry for a savory dinner!  I'll grill pork chops along with a favorite recipe I discovered last Produce Box season, Grilled Sweet Potatoes.  Of course I'll be using my Produce Box sweet potatoes.  I may serve a green salad along with dinner using the cucumbers and any tomatoes I have left from my box.  WW Points for potatoes and pork (2 oz equals 3 pts.): 8

Grilled Sweet Potatoes  WW Pts: 5
2 large sweet potatoes, sliced
1 apple - peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp white sugar
drizzle of maple syrup
1/4 cup butter

Directions
1. Preheat an outdoor grill.
2. In a bowl, toss the sweet potato and apple slices with the cinnamon and sugar. Place on a large piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle with maple syrup and top with butter. Tightly seal foil around.
3. Place foil packet on the grill, and cook 40 minutes, turning every 5 to 10 minutes, until potatoes and apples are tender.

Sunday, April 17- I came across tonight's meal in a Woman's Day magazine.
Italian Sausage and White Bean Bake Recipe WW Pts: 7

* 3 Tbsp olive oil
* 1 1/2 lb Italian sausages, cut crosswise into 2-in. pieces
* 3 leeks (white and light green parts), sliced into half-moons
* 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
* 3 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1/2 cup dry white wine
* 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
* 2 15-oz cans white beans, such as cannellini, rinsed
* 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
* Kosher salt and pepper
* 2 cups fresh coarse bread crumbs

1. Heat oven to 375ºF. Heat 1 Tbsp of the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook the sausages until browned, 6 to 8 minutes; transfer to a plate.

2. Wipe out the pot and heat 1 Tbsp of the remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the leeks, carrots and garlic and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, 5 to 6 minutes.

3. Add the wine and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juices; bring to a boil. Stir in the beans, parsley, sausage, and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Transfer to a 3-qt casserole dish.

4. In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs with the remaining oil and sprinkle over the bean mixture. Bake until golden brown and bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes.

Nutrition Facts Yield 8 Servings
Calories 347 Total Fat 16g Saturated Fat 5g Cholesterol 25mg Sodium 1068mg Total Carbohydrates 34g Dietary Fiber 6g Protein 15g

Monday, April 18-  I came across this recipe on allrecipes.com  I will serve it with coucous (WW Pts. 3 for 1 cup) and green beans.  I did take note of the reader's comments and will incorporate them into the recipe this evening.  Total WW Points for meal: 9
* 4 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia
* salt and pepper to taste
* olive oil
* 4 cloves garlic, pressed
* 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped (can substitute dried)
* 1-2 large tomato, chopped
* 1 cup white wine

1. Preheat a grill for medium-high heat.
2. Place the tilapia fillets side by side on a large piece of aluminum foil. Season each one with salt and pepper. Place drizzle olive oil over the top of each piece of fish, and sprinkle garlic, basil and tomato. Pour the wine over everything. Fold foil up around fish, and seal into a packet. Place packet on a cookie sheet for ease in transportation to and from the grill.
3. Place foil packet on the preheated grill, and cook for 15 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Open the packet carefully so as not to get burned from the steam, and serve.

Nutritional Information
Calories: 269 | Total Fat: 13.2g | Cholesterol: 73mg Sodium: 293mg Total Carbs: 3.4g Dietary Fiber: 0.6g Protein: 23.7g

Tuesday, April 19- After a trip to the Meat House of Cary, I will be grilling their Marinated Merlot Steaks tonight.  I would love to grill some asparagus as well (I'll see if it is on sale at the market otherwise maybe corn on the cob).  I'll serve Grilled Garlic and Onion Red Potatoes with our meal as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment